Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Cosmos

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, March 10, 2014

Cosmos

Well, that was a very satisfying weekend.

They had a Cosmos Marathon on the National Geographic channel starting Saturday and concluding Sunday, rerunning all of Carl Sagan's original Cosmos series.  Then Sunday evening, Fox ran the New Cosmos, with Neil Degrasse Tyson.

It was...lovely.

I fortified myself with some nice munchies, and squatted in front of the television.  Similar in a way to which my menfolk had watched the Daytona 500 or the Superbowl, but this was actually GOOD!  Well, those were good too, but in a different sort of way.  I watched the original, when it first aired, and I've watched it ever since, practically everytime that they decide to re-air it. I went out and bought the book.  I went out and bought every book that Carl Sagan wrote, and they are fabulous indeed.  The man could write. 

I...miss Carl Sagan terribly.  He had such a love of Science, and he had such a way of explaining it to people without condescension and with such supreme enthusiasm.  And the music by Vangelis was so gorgeous.  The interesting thing is how well it has fared over the years, it is as fresh and pertinent today as it was when it aired so many years ago.  Heck, as I was giving birth to my youngest, it was on the television in the hospital, and I was mad, that they moved me into a birthing room!  My kids have watched it, and love it.

So, today I am a bit bloated, but sated.  But a little sad too, because when I went to work, and we were comparing our weekends, as we are wont to do...nobody watched it.  Nobody had even HEARD of it! 

Gahhh!

I just died a little bit inside.  The new version was pretty good too.  The graphics are certainly more advanced, and there have been so many new discoveries, and technology of course, but still...the original remains my favorite.  So do yourselves a favor and watch it. 

Besides, Carl Sagan is a Super Hero.  He was in either Action Philosophers or Atomic Robo or something, but he IS a Comic Book Hero!

Woohoo!

2 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger Jeff McGinley said...

Just watched the first new episode with my daughter. Hard to tell if I misted up more by the Sagan tribute or watching her eyes open with wonder the same way mine did watching the original with my dad.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Watching with your kids is the best way!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home