Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Green Lantern Corps Annual

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, January 31, 2014

Green Lantern Corps Annual

I did like this book.  It was nice and fat, and had a lot of action, and actually advanced the plot, and Hal wasn't a complete idiot.  That was a bit of a change.  Also, Kanjar Ro and Bolphunga the Unrelenting, two villains that I have a sneaking fondness for. 

The Durlans and the Khund are being awfully unpleasant.  Mogo has been invaded, Things have been Blown Up.  Sector Houses are being destroyed, and Green Lanterns picked off all over, and thanks to the Durlans impersonating Hal, the entire universe thinks that the Green Lanterns are douchebags.  It all proves that you don't NEED the old Guardians to cause chaos, the rest of creation does a pretty good job of that all by themselves.

It might also behoove the new NEW Guardians to quit hanging around with Kyle and come back and do their jobs, but I don't see that happening for a while.

But anyway, John and his bunch get their rings drained by this new weapon of the Khunds, who surprisingly take them all prisoner instead of letting them just die in space.  But they get rescued by that motley bunch of escapees from the Sciencells, including Kanjar Ro and Bolphunga, who may not like Green Lanterns, but by God, they dislike the Khunds even more.  So a strange partnership is formed,with the baddies, pairing up with the goodies, which frankly, sounds like it is going to be a hoot.

And everyone is out looking for Von Daggle, the leader of the Corpse.  They should ask Guy.  As I recall, Von Daggle really doesn't like Hal very much, so this should be interesting.

Green Lantern has been dragging for me a bit lately, although GLC has been pretty good.  But this got a lot of the boring stuff out of the way, and parameters were set, and partnerships were formed, and things look pretty exciting.  So I'm happy.

1 Comments:

At 7:28 PM, Blogger Volcano Todd said...

I just finished reading it and was pleasantly surprised. The art was a bit weak, but I really like the direction of this story. One thing that bugged me was the reveal about the baddies being on the side of green. It was obvious very early on, which is fine, but then why bother to have that pointless battle when they showed up on Mogo. It's like Jensen and Venditti wanted to force some misdirection without fully committing to it.

When Johns left, I considered leaving myself. I was very disappointed with his half-baked storylines since basically Blackest Night. I gave the new creative crew a chance but the Relic storyline felt like more of the same. Build up a great big threat, never really explain it, close with a big battle where one of the Earth GLs saves the day.

But since they wrapped up the Relic story, I feel like the new creative team has flexed their muscles and tried out some new, fresh things. I'm glad I stuck around this long because the recent stories in all four books (I don't pick up Larfleeze) have been better than they have in several years.

On top of everything else, I'm thrilled that Von Daggle is returning! The Dark Side of Green was one of my favorite stories back in the old GLC book because of the interesting concept of the Corpse. I was afraid that everyone forgot about it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home