Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Sometimes I Just Love My Comics

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, January 13, 2014

Sometimes I Just Love My Comics

It occurs to me, that I have been doing a fair amount of navel-gazing lately.  It is too easy to get caught up in what you DON'T like about Comics, and too easy to forget all of the things that you happen to LOVE about Comics.  Therefore, I am presenting to you, a list of some of my all-time absolute favorite books.  Your mileage may vary of course. 

Also, it is Monday and I am fresh out of ideas.  Some of these are new, some of these are old.  Some of these are really old!  A whole heck of a lot of them are cancelled.  But still, they hold a warm spot in my heart.

In no particular order at all...

Saga
Journey Into Mystery (the Kieron Gillen version specifically, atlhough I liked the latest one with Sif too.)
Damage Control
Lt. Blueberry (oh Moebius)
Corto Maltese (oh Hugo Pratt)
Green Lantern (duh!)
Thor
Young Avengers
Blue Beetle (loved the one with John Rogers)
Starman
Sandman
Hitman
Preacher
Jonah Hex
Next Wave
Incredible Hercules
Justice League International (yes, Giffen and DeMatteis and Maguire)
Justice Society of America (Geoff Johns)
Suicide Squad (Ostranders, not the new one)
Secret Six
Batman '66
Batman, The Brave and the Bold (technically, this was a cartoon, but gosh I loved it so)
Defenders (the silly mini-series by Giffen, DeMatteis and Maguire)
Lucifer
Red Lanterns (but only since Guy joined)
Guy Gardner: Warrior ( I still miss Beau Smith)
Hellblazer
Manhunter (with Kate Spencer)
Birds of Prey (Gail Simone version)
Power Girl (the Palmiotti/Grey/Amanda Conner version was a hoot)
Daredevil (the Waid/Samnee version has been fabulous)
Hawkeye
Thor, The Mighty Avenger (also by Samnee)
The Punisher meets Archie

I threw that last one in there to see if anyone was actually reading.  Frankly, I loved that book.  It was hilarious.  

It occurs to me, that most of these books, had a strong current of humor, albeit occasionally black humor, running through them.  Some of them were out and out laugh-out-loud funny.

Damn, I miss that. 

What books do YOU all miss?  Or are currently enjoying?

7 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I heard Punisher meets Archie was good so I may have to get it. I'll have to do my own list at some point. I wonder if I should include mini series.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I miss most of the old DCU, especially Secret Six, the old Birds of Prey...

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Oh Erin, you can include anything that you like! I am sure that Rip and Booster will figure prominently.

Damn, I should have included the most recent Dan Jurgens version of Booster Gold, because it was a hoot.

Shelly...I miss the old DCU too. You may have noticed that there aren't a lot of current books, except from Marvel, which actually surprises me.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

This list could go forever, and if I turn it into a blog post sometime soon it probably will, but offhand:

Batgirl (both the Cass Cain and Steph Brown series)
Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova (Abnett/Lanning versions)
New Warriors (the Nicieza/Bagley years)
Avengers (Kurt Busiek)
GrimJack, Suicide Squad, Heroes for Hire (John Ostrander)
Spider-Girl (Tom DeFalco, Pat Olliffe, Ron Frenz)
Daredevil (the current version, and the Nocenti/Romita Jr. run)
Yotsuba/ Rurouni Kenshin (have to throw some manga in there)
Cable/Deadpool (the only book that made me care about Cable)
the post-Mutant Massacre/Australian Era X-Men
Agents of Atlas
Hitman
Punisher (Ennis' 60-issue Max imprint run)

That's a decent start. . .

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Bryan L said...

Oh, yes, Agents of Atlas. Lord, I miss that. Secret Six, too. And Rogers' Blue Beetle. And Power Girl. And ..,
Rex Libris (obligatory independent)
All the DC Animated titles (ALL - including The Batman, Batman:BATB, and animated Green Lantern)
Resurrection Man
Martian Manhunter (Ostrander)
Impulse
Flash (WALLY!)
All the DnA Marvel Cosmic titles

Let's start getting obscure:
Chronos
Monolith
Justice Society (the short one drawn by Parobeck). Johns' version is in second place.
Legion of Superheroes (my favorite was DnA, but dammit, there needs to be a Legion)

Now I'm sad.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Dang it, Calvin, I forgot the Ennis Punisher, which was fabulous.

And Bryan, I forgot Ostrander's Martian Manhunter too.

This is why I love seeing what everyone else likes too. Excellent choices!

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger googum said...

If you ever read Scud the Disposable Assassin...oh, man, that book could've run about a million more issues, and I'd be A-OK with that. Same for Milk and Cheese or Sam and Max.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home