Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Comics...My Drug of Choice

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Comics...My Drug of Choice

So on the news last night, there was a report of a rather large Marijuana bust. Naturally, my smartass kids were busy making smartass comments, and trying to appear SOOOO sophisticated, especially when compared to their old fart parents.

I have never really understood the appeal of recreational drugs. I don't like not being in control of my own actions, nor is my life so desperate that I wish to escape it. COMICS are my drugs...and I can always count upon them to deliver, by God!

Need something psychedelic? Just read some old Steranko books...preferably something with Nick Fury. Or Jack Kirby for that matter. Silver Age storylines are FAR more fantastic than anything that cocaine can create. Plus, comics are cheaper in the long run, and you can go back and read them again, and they actually might appreciate in value! It's a win-win situation.

Naturally my kids sighed and rolled their eyes at my naivete...but did grudgingly agree that Batman: The Brave & the Bold IS the crackiest thing on television.

I rest my case. And I'm going to my dealer...er...comic book store right now.

4 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

I never understood the appeal of drugs either, for much the same reasons.

Besides, like you said, the Silver Age is one gigantic acid trip. Who needs to run the risk of brain damage when you just read a book. Though I think there are a few Silver Age comics out there that are so trippy they might actually cause some permanent damage...

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

Great post, I totally agree...don't even drink anymore, I buy DC Showcases - Wonder Woman adventures with Wonder Tot, that's some serious hallucinogens.

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

This kind of reminds me of the movie Fantasia. When Fantasia was first released in 1940, it flopped. When Disney re-released it in the late '60s, all the "psychedelic" imagery helped make it a huge hit. When the Disney animators were asked if they'd been doing drugs while working on Fantasia, one of them replied, "Sure, we were on drugs -- Ex-Lax and Pepto Bismal!"

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well, there's drugs...and there are DRUGS! Those Disney artists probably also had a bit of caffeine going too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home