Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: I Hate Tony Stark

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I Hate Tony Stark

This is probably not news to you, but ever since Civil War, I have REALLY come to loathe and despise Tony Stark. He wasn't my favorite Marvel character to begin with, but he wasn't bad. NOW he's bad.

I can live with the idea of a hero turning into a villain I supopse. When Guy Gardner was newly awakened from his three-year coma by the renegade Guardians, he went through a stint of almost out-right villainishness. In his defense, he WAS a bit on the brain-damaged side, and it has to be admitted that Hal was being a first-class jerk. He probably shouldn't have tried to kill Hal during the whole Crises thing, but come on! If Guy really wanted to kill Hal, he'd be dead! Then he turned into an anti-hero, and things started to improve.

But Tony Stark? As far as I know, he's not brain-damaged, and if they blame the whole mess on Skrulls, I think that my head will explode. Besides, Tony has always been a bit on the dickish side. Lately however, I think that he's giving Lex Luthor a run for his money, when it comes to being a power-mad billionaire. I know that Lex was President once, but I'm not certain that even he had as much raw power as Stark seems to be flaunting at the moment.

The hypocrisy of the whole thing is starting to really get on my nerves too. They had Cap surrender due to the property damage and danger to innocent civilians? Um...ok. Funny how that hasn't been much of a priority for the Registration forces since however. Letting REAL criminals go in order to hunt down and imprison non-Registered heroes? Talk about not being able to see the forest for the trees!

I'm also not buying the premise that Stark doesn't have anything to do with the Thunderbolts. Please. Tony's got his little iron pinkies into EVERYTHING at the moment. Norman Osborne can't fart without Stark knowing about it. Which of course makes all the things that the psycho-Thunderbolts do, ultimately be the responsibility of Tony Stark.

I hope...I really really hope that Hulk rips his little mustached head off. That Thor comes back and kicks his butt. That the Winter Soldier does some serious damage. This is not very nice of me, and I understand that. But Tony Stark is not a very nice person either. Or Skrull. Or whatever. I do know that in the DC universe, if he tried to pull the shenanigans that he's getting away with in the Marvel Universe, Superman and the Justice League would have fixed his little red wagon.

Boy am I cranky today! Must be the heat, it's over 90 in New England, and all the weather people keep telling us the "heat index" and how much worse it really is. They do the same thing with the "chill factor" in the winter. Morons.

8 Comments:

At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having been a fan of Tony back in the John Romita Jr days, I find myself torn between:

A) hoping that Evil Stark will turn out to be a Skrull, so that the character can be saved from oblivion

and

B) dreading that Evil Stark will turn out to be a Skrull, because that would be the lamest cop-out in the history of comics

There's really just no way for this to end well for an Iron Man fan.

I still think Civil War should have ended with the revelation that all the changes and out-of-character behavior were the result of Superboy Prime punching the universe next door, thereby blaming all Marvel's editorial gaffes and inept storytelling on their biggest competition. :)

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Canton said...

I really wouldn't miss Stark, but plenty of people would, certainly. (They probably already do.) So ideally, death should be out of the question. Harm, however is another story.

I think we're allowed to wish harm on villainous fictional characters, and given that Stark is (as Jennifer Walters so righteously points out) acting like Dr. Doom... No, I take that back; Dr. Doom is, to a degree, honorable. Anyway, given his myriad of offenses against the Hulk family I'm thinking Hulk rightfully has first dibs on retaliation.

Also, give me wind chill over heat index any day. (It's pretty miserable here in Michigan, too. Well, below the bridge at least.)

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I just don't understand the theory behind turning one of your best heroes...He HAS been an Avenger for years, into a complete and utter monster. Shock value?

And don't even get me started about what they did to Reed, who I was rather fond of.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Maybe Tony Stark has been taken over by a big, yellow alien parasite. ;-)

SALLY!!!!! Have you picked up your issue of Sinestro Corps yet??? I made the mistake of picking it up during lunch, and I don't think I'm gonna get ANY more work done today. OMG, OMG, Oh, Oh -- OH MY FREAKIN' GOLLY GEE!!!!!!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Adam Barnett said...

hate HATE when they cop-out. I'm still reeling from that alien parasite that drove Hal Jordan crazy. Of course, we could have just left it that he was enraged by grief, but that's too deep. Let's use mind-control!

If they make Tony a Skrull, I may rip my own eyes out.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Derek said...

"I do know that in the DC universe, if he tried to pull the shenanigans that he's getting away with in the Marvel Universe, Superman and the Justice League would have fixed his little red wagon."

If Stark tried this crap in DC, he'd still be nothing more than Amanda Waller's lapdog.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Canton said...

"And don't even get me started about what they did to Reed, who I was rather fond of."

There's hope for Reed yet, and her name is Susan.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Derek, that's very true of course. Amanda is just a tad more subtle. And possibly less evil.

Canton, I really hope that Sue gives Reed a big smack in his elastic chops.

Sea...Oh yes I have it. I squealed like a school girl all the way through it. I will get around the the review eventually.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home