Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Stuff that I Bought

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Stuff that I Bought

Well, I missed last week's books, but apparently I only missed Justice League.  Not a whole lot more this week, but enough to make it worthwhile.

Action Comics #21

I was a little apprehensive after Grant Morrison left, but I've enjoyed Andy Diggle's tale of Superman vs Lex Luthor a lot more than I expected to.  Alas, it seems as though this will be the last of his work, since Lobdell will be taking over, I believe.

Lex had come up with Kryptonian virus, and was doing his best to portray Superman as a menace to society, but as usual, was outsmarted...mainly because he can never understand true altruism.  Lois is fairly awesome in this as well.

It was a nice story.  And sometimes I like that.


Fairest #16

We are visiting a different neck of the woods, and it has Prince Charming as the local Maharaja, which is interesting.  Not a whole heck of a lot happens in this issue, but it is still a decent read, and the art is pretty.

Green Lantern #21

Well!

Justice League of America #4

Seriously Geoff...you gave up Hal for this?

Ollie has managed to blackmail his way onto the team.  Catwoman is under cover.  Stargirl is being rebellious.  Amanda Waller is being crafty.  Everybody fights Ivo's monsters, and Catwoman gets shot in the head, ala Ted Kord.

I can't say that I believe it in the least, but it is a rather shocking moment.

Damn it,  I miss Ted.

I don't like the art very much, and I don't like the characters all that much either.  Actually I DO like the characters, but nobody seems to be acting like themselves, with the possible exception of Hawkman.  I'm not sure that I'm going to keep up with this, but as usual, I keep hoping that THIS month it will finally be good.  I'm still waiting.


 Sorry for the snark.  Green Lantern tomorrow.




4 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Boosterrific said...

JUSTICE LEAGUE, where all the biggest "heroes" in the New DCU act like hormonal BREAKFAST CLUB tweens, is bad enough. But the mostly second-string characters in JLoA don't even behave like they do in their own books. Johns should know better (he certainly used to handle characterization better than this), so I'm left scratching my head about what he's trying to do. Given that he is clearly setting up an IDENTITY CRISIS-esque plot (e.g. "you don't know what you think you know" + "no one is what they seem") in the family of JUSTICE LEAGUE titles, I'm left to wonder if all involved might be impostors? Certainly, none of these Leaguers are anyone I want to read about.

Why is it that all of the fun at DC these days seems to be happening outside the "flagship" titles?

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Johns SHOULD know better, and frankly, I am baffled.

I keep wanting to like Justice League, and JLA...but I really don't give a hoot.

What I really want of course, is the old JLI.

 
At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Randy Jackson said...

I think I quit Justice League Of America this week as I just plain don't care about any of these characters or whether they win, lose, die, blow up the world, etc. Just boring.

Also, it's not as if Johns hasn't written some stinkers in his day. His Avengers was second-rate, his Hawkman was average, and I'm hoping Superboy's fists will wipe the taste of the DCnU out of my mouth.

and Fairest was decent.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I'm with you Randy. I keep waiting for it to get better. Seriously, Justice League hasn't been very good in a VERY long time.

The last Justice League book that I really really liked, was the one with Wally, and Queen Bee, written by Dwayne McDuffie. That was a LONG time ago, sadly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home