Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Stuff I Read This Week

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Stuff I Read This Week

My goodness, but it was a bountiful week!  I love bountiful.  It makes me so happy to stagger out of the Comic Book Store, weighted down by my purchases.

All-Star Western #10

Actually, I think this may be last month's issue, but for some reason, I didn't find it, so I picked it up today.  Tallulah is back!  She and Jonah are having horizontal refreshments!  Doctor Arkham thinks that they are both psychotic...and he may be right.  More Owl stuff, lots of violence, and a really dandy Bat Lash story at the back.

What's not to like?

Batwoman #11

This was nice, if still a little confusing.  I'm getting my villains mixed up or something.  And Bette wakes up from her coma, purely due to the sheer awesomness of Kate's Dad.  It's all very very pretty of course, but I have to admit that it doesn't seem to be going anywhere in much of a hurry.

Birds of Prey #11

Well, Poison Ivy manages to con the rest of them into supporting her in her ecological warfare, since they have all been infected with something nasty that is going to kill them all in six months or so.  The evil polluters get theirs, and there is a reasonable amount of mayhem, but I think it is  a different artist this issue, it seemed a little wonky to me.

Not bad.  Not grat, but not terrible.

Blue Beetle #11

I only picked this up because Booster Gold was on the cover.  I rather wish that I had not.  I really really loathe this new incarnation of Jaime.  His family is nowhere to be seen, Paco is infected with something, and all of the charm, wit and joy of the Giffen/Rogers book is completely absent. 

Yuck.

Plus Booster was kind of a jerk.

Fables #119

We continue with the story of Teresa, Queen of the Misfit toys, and Dare, who has gone to rescue her.  Too bad for that nice tiger, but I do hope he was delicious.  I'm getting a little tired of this particular storyline, it seems as though it has dragged on just a hair too long, so I am looking forward to Bigby showing up and busting some heads or something.

Man, I am whiny today!

Green Lantern Corps #11

Well!  More anon!

Justice League #11

Oh good grief.  The heroes all manage to shake their problems away, but Wonder Woman is all set on going off and rescuing Steve Trevor.  For a reason that is never fully explained, Hal tries to stop her, and gets his extremely fabulous ass handed to him.  Barry is running around wringing his hands, Superman is being stoic, Batman is being...Batman, and Cyborg actually seems to be one of the few to have his wits about him.

Graves in the meantime, is harrassing Steve's sister, whic his rather nasty of him.  He is an unpleasant person to say the least.  The League figures out who he is, and what he is, and what he's been up to, and they all end up at the mystic dead people place.  Too bad about Steve though.

Is it me, or does the JLI seem to get along better than this bunch?

Wonder Woman #11

This  may not be the REAL Wonder Woman...but boy howdy, this is one heck of a story.  Our heroes and heroines made it out of Hell, which is nice for them, but Hera shows up again, and she is still up to her nefarious ways.  And Artemis and Apollo show up too, and they're also up to no good.  Awfully, awfully good.


Journey Into Mystery #641

Waaaaaaahhhhh!  I don't want this to end!  It's going to be ending!  This is my favorite Marvel book.  Why does this always happen to me?

Verily, I am wroth.

Loki and Leah, continue their doublecross of Otherworld, but only with the best of motives, by blowing up stuff like Stonehenge,Hadrian's Wall and some other cool stuff.  Arthur, and Captain Britain and all those guys realize that they need to parley, and it all ends pretty well, all things considered, with nobody killed, and the balance of power delicately balanced.  When the All-Mother gets all pissy, Loki does point this out.

He also manages to sneak the Grail out, so that Hela can drink from it and restore her hand, which had been chopped off by the Disir,and wasn't healing.  Unfortunately, the price for healing Hela, is the continued existance of Leah, her Handmaiden. 

Oh Leah!  She even looked up what BFF meant.  Loki is disconsolate and who can blame him.  So he's in no mood to listen to the All-Mother kvetch.  It all looks as though it is going to end more or less happily, so too bad about Surtur on that last page.

Damn, I love this book.  Damn, I'm going to miss Leah. Who will drink all of Loki's milkshakes now?

9 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Blogger notintheface said...

Don't you mean "AH Leah!"?

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

Yeah, I don't like how they changed Jaimes' story or wrote Booster. I was hopeful I'd at least enjoy his appearance.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

I've lost track of what's going on with Booster Gold...after they redesigned his costume I just don't have the willpower anymore.

 
At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noooo! Don't end Journey Into Mystery! I wanted Leah to get her own series! And I really, really wanted to see Loki, Leah, and Damian Wayne at the next Marvel/DC crossover picnic!

– Jack of Spades

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I swear to God, every single time that I fall in love with a Marvel book...they cancel it. Although I have heard rumors that perhaps young Loki is going to the Young Avengers, or something. Who the heck knows?

But I'm going to miss Leah terribly. As will Loki apparently.

And yes, Booster was just portrayed gawdawful in the Blue Beetle book...which is also gawdawful. Judd Winick is (obviously) NOT one of my favorite writers, and I'll probably never forgive him for the garbage that he inflicted upon Ice...but he did a reasonably decent job with both Booster and Jaime when he was writing JLI. I certainly won't be picking up anymore Blue Beetle books.

Unless they put Guy on the cover, because I'm weak.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Erin S. said...

That's one of the reasons I stopped reading Marvel. Yeah DC does it too but so far it hasn't happened as much.

At least Winick was able to do a decent job writing Booster and most of JLI (excluding the ICE origin) in JLGL. You're as weak with Guy as I am with my favorites.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

It's true!

*sob*

I swear, that if DC put Guy on every single cover one month, I would buy every single book. H wouldn't even have to be IN it!

I'm so ashamed.

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger Siskoid said...

"Is it me, or does the JLI seem to get along better than this bunch?"

I can't name a single team that doesn't.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Touche'!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home