Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Farewell to Brave & the Bold

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Farewell to Brave & the Bold

Last Friday was the last episode of the final season of Batman: The Brave & the Bold...and I am heartbroken. How can something be so hilarious, and still make me so sad? I remember when they were first proposing this series, and being so excited that it was going to be a "fun" version of Batman instead of the usual dark and grim omnipotent Batman. This was a look back to the Silver Age, when a lot of comic fans were actually kids, and comics were cheap and fun entertainment. I still love my comics of course, but they are rarely fun, and they certainly aren't cheap.

What sealed the deal for me of course, was the fact that they decided to go with Guy Gardner as the "go-to" Green Lantern, instead of Hal or John. The list of second and third tier heroes was just mind-boggling. Booster Gold, Fire and Ice, Blue Beetle, Jonah Hex...B'wana Beast. B'wanna Beast, for God's sake! And for villains, in addition to the Joker and the Penguin and such, they had such luminaries as Gentleman Ghost, Lashina, and Gorilla Grodd.

It was insane. Aquaman became cool. There was a Justice League, but it was the JLI, not the JLA. The Justice Society showed up and were a bunch of cranky old geezers. Catwoman, Black Canary, Huntress also showed up, even Robin showed up. And Green Arrow was his old obnoxious self. It was delightful.

It was so delightful, that even my Sweet Babboo, got hooked. He wouldn't actually come out and admit it, but he always made a point to remind me that "that silly show is on" on Friday evenings,and he always watched. He may not have had any idea who these people were...but he does now.

But it's all over now, and whatever shall we do? The new Batman will inevitably be out, and inevitably it will be a whole lot darker. That's ok, I suppose, but dang it, I'm going to miss "MY" show. I'm looking forward to the Green Lantern show, and others, but I still wish that there was a place for ALL of them.

Thanks Batman. You were outrageous...and we'll miss you.

5 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Lordofthewaters said...

Episode one of "Green Lantern:The Animated Series" to maybe cheer you up Sally...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxv0KOzHBS0&feature=related

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Moriarty said...

And it was such a great episode to end such an amazing show. Written by Paul Dini, of course... and he knows a thing or two about writing great animated (and otherwise) Batman stories.

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Martin Gray said...

(I never knew you had a Sweet Babboo too! I hope Sally Brown doesn't sue us ... hang on, your SB's not called Linus, is he?)

You have me salivating to see this episode, I wonder when it'll hit the UK. It's such a shame the best DC cartoon in years is finished, but the upcoming shorts look interesting.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

It WAS a great episode! And yes, I did watch the pilot of the new Green Lantern show, and it was pretty darned fabulous.

Still...I'm going to miss it terribly. Oh, and Martin, his name is Blaise, not Linus.

 
At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to miss BATB too but as long as Beware the Batman lives up to its promise of obscure Bat-villains, I'm good.

-Anarkymite

 

Post a Comment

<< Home