Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Friend or Foe?

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Friend or Foe?

A week or so back, I was focusing on friends and foes of Guy Gardner. Then I started having computer troubles, and the whole thing went out of my mind. But never fear...it's back! In my mind, that is. And I started thinking.

Exactly where does Salaak fall, when it comes to being a fan of, or against Guy? In the beginning, he of course couldn't STAND Guy! Nobody could! And really, he was pretty horrible to everyone back then. Then Kilowog came around, and then Hal beat Guy up and stole his ring, and then Hal went all Parallax on everyone's ass, and it was possibly about this time, that Salaak realized that perhaps he had been mad at the wrong Earth Lantern.

Oh...and there was the fact that as Warrior, Guy came along and saved Salaak from Space Slavery, along with a whole passel of other ex-Lanterns.
And eventually, Guy was reinstated as a Lantern along with Hal, and the Corps came back, and everything was lovely.

Anyhoo.

Although (like Guy) I'm sure that he'd rather DIE than admit it...I think that ol' Salaak actually has a soft spot for Mr. Gardner. And vice versa for that matter. Yeah, they bicker a whole lot, but in a strange sort of way, I think that they actually enjoy themselves.

Remember when Guy was on vacation and lost his ring for a little while? It could only have been a matter of hours, but Salaak was right THERE, checking to see if he was alright. Hal on the other hand, took of HIS ring, and was a POW for a couple of months, and Salaak never said boo.

He also let Guy and Kyle open up their bar on Oa, which I would have thought would have been the very LAST thing that he'd want around. They do seem to have this peculiar habit of yelling at each other, but I think that it's almost...affectionate. At least as far as a Slyggian is capable of being affectionate.

So, while I'm terrified that it might be Kilowog's death that sends Guy over the edge into Red Lanternism, there is also the possiblity that it might be the death of Salaak that gets him wound up. Salaak hasn't been around a whole lot lately, after he handed the Alpha Lanterns their defeat, so it would be interesting to see what he's up to.

And heck. I just like Salaak. Now they just need to bring Ch'p back. He's already back as a Black Lantern, and looking pretty damned terrifying.

Green Lanterns

Salaak shouldn't have to deal with...that!

5 Comments:

At 7:16 PM, Blogger Fernando said...

I actually like Salaak and the role he plays in the corps. He is the GL that gets yelled at instead of the guardians, doing their dirty jobs. I hope he´s not the one dying, but if it comes down to him or killowog... Well I wouldn´t be able to choose!

Quick question. Wasn´t there a GL who was dead already? I mean, a dead GL who was still a GL because he was very good or whatever? he was all white and looked very crazy. It would be cool to see what could happen with him. I remembered him after seeing that in Xanshi the misterious figure is wielding both rings. Weird.

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may be thinking of Driq, Fernando; his will to live was such that his ring kept him going after death. I think he finally passed on when the central power battery went down.

-- Jack of Spades

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I was thinking of Driq too. Didn't he go bad at one point, back in the old Starman series? It's hard to remember exactly who is doing what and where sometimes when it comes to Comics.

Long live Continuity!

But yes, I do like Salaak.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Volcano Todd said...

Funny. I never thought about it until I read Fernando's post, but I guess my job is a lot like Salaak's.

I'm a manager of internal communications for a large company and I daily deal with representing the employees' thoughts to senior management while also acting as the official representation of said management to the employees. When either side wants to bitch about the other, they come to me! Lol.

I guess Salaak's kind of the middleman of the Corps. You don't see him get involved with the daily enforcing of justice (but when he does, he really seems to enjoy himself) but rather acts as the bridge between the Corps and the idiot Guardians. The poor boy must go crazy having do deal with the shenanigans of all those GLs. That's easily three full time jobs! Can't the Guardians give him some help!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

It's a good thing that Salaak has four arms...those extra hands come in...well, handy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home