Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: So, I Hear That There's A Rumor

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

So, I Hear That There's A Rumor

A rumor that Girls are actually invading Comicbookdom. The Twilight people are to blame for this of course. I have never read Twilight, nor have I seen the movie. Moreover I have NO plans to do either. My youngest daughter did read the book, and laughed hysterically throughout, which is not what I think the author had in mind. Nevertheless, I am pleased as punch that all the young and not so young Twilight fans showed up at the Convention and had themselves a fine old time.

There are however, those who were NOT amused by this invasion. Girls! They might...they might have Cooties! At least, that is the impression that I get from reading the various Message Boards...and sniggering myself sick in the process. I imagine that quite a number of fans, were happy to welcome newcomers to their little hobby, but there is a certain sub-group of fans, who live in horror that their own pursuits may become more mainstream. Because you see, Girls Don't Read Comic Books. Or, if they do, then they don't read the RIGHT kind of Comic Books. They're those Twilight people, or they read Manga, or Sandman and Strangers In Paradise or something. Or their boyfriends got them into it. They don't read Superheroes, EVERYONE knows that.

Except of course, for the ones that DO read Superheroes. Some of them even blog about it.

silly

We're coming. And we're playing with your toys.

Heh.

11 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Blogger Duskdog said...

"A scene of wild jubilation" indeed. Why don't we have a clubhouse like that?

Come on, boys. Girls are allowed to like stories about men in tights, too, aren't they? :)

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

AMEN, sister! AMEN! :-D

 
At 4:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*deep breath*OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Don't let them in.They'll ruin EVERYTHING.

:)

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

Hey, they can play with MY toys anytime!

...I mean... um... yeah.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Now Mac, let's keep it clean.

Seriously, when you think about it, what woman WOULDN'T want to ogle insanely well-built men wearing tights? There's a REASON this blog has this title!

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I never read Twilight myself nor do I ever plan to do so. But yeah I've seen some "there's a girl reading comics?!" reaction before. I found it especially funny in my comic book shop since it's co-owned by a woman.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

It does get a little tedious sometimes.

I remember a while back, reading a jeremiad by some overpriviledged fanboy who was OUTRAGED that some fat middle-aged woman had gotten in his way at some convention. It was as though she had no right to exist, since she wasn't a booth babe, nor dressed up like Power Girl.

I wanted to punch him in his gonads.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Sorry guys, Im just REALLy cranky today!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

You're certainly entitled to feel upset at that reaction. I know I read a lot of horror stories about guys who think just because a 'booth babe' is dressed up in some outfit it gives them the right to act like asses. They need to know that it's not okay.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Your Obedient Serpent said...

Random Thoughts about Twilight

The comic store where I work is in a big, indoor shopping mall with a major movie theater, so we get a lot more walk-in traffic from "mundanes" than your typical tucked-in-a-strip-mall geek haven.

A common question in recent weeks has been, "is there a Twilight comic book?"

My answer: "Not yet. I'm surprised they haven't gotten one on the shelves already."

Twilight fans do not want to read Anita Blake, it seems.

My wife and stepdaughters have read all the Twilight books, and have branched out into the whole "Paranormal Romance" genre. Apparently, laughing at the silliness of it all is part of the appreciation (much as it is amongst superhero fans -- the cool ones, anyway). There is (inevitably) a Twilight movie drinking game; my stepdaughters report that it makes the movie far more watchable.

I got dragged to said movie, in the theaters. I have, in all my years, never before sat through a movie that made me wish that I'd brought a book.

I am not allowed to make fun of sparkly vampires, however. I have abused the privilege.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Serpent, I can't imagine that ANYONE wants to read Anita Blake! It's terrifying enough to have Chris Sims do it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home