Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: What is it about Oberon?

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

What is it about Oberon?

Yeah, what IS it about Oberon anyway, and isn't that the most random statment that you've read today? I don't even know why I was thinking about Oberon. It isn't as though he has an apostrophe in his name or anything like G'nort. I just happen to like him, that's all.

JLI

I don't have a lot of scans featuring Oberon, but I did like this one, by the inimitable Kevin Maguire. Now that Scott and Barda are alive again, perhaps we can get Oberon back. The last time that I actually saw Oberon, was in the Green Arrow/Black Canary wedding drawn by Amanda Connor, and there he is, right in the front. So, to the best of my knowledge, Oberon is still breathing. He's just been...resting.

What really started this train of thought, was I was wondering about the way that Guy and Oberon used to interact back in the good ol' JLI. The very first time that they met, Oberon introduced himself, and Guy promptly called him "Sneezy" and wondered where the rest of the seven dwarfs were. Needless to say, this did not go over well. They always had a bit of a history of bickering at each other, but heck, Guy bickered with everyone, so that's not unnusual. I did however, get the impression, that Guy actually...sort of...kinda....LIKED Oberon. A little bit. A teensy tiny little bit. Not that he'd ever admit it of course. I can understand that attitude, Oberon may have been short,but he was certainly charming.

And finally, it came to me. I think that to Guy, Oberon looks a little bit like a non-blue Guardian. I've always had the impression that Guy has a love/hate relationship with the Guardians anyway. He loves being a Lantern, but he doesn't appreciate jumping through their hoops, although he seems to have a grudging respect for Ganthet.

But sheesh, just look at him! He's got the bald head, the fringe of white hair, and he's short. Very short. Slap a pair of red pajamas on him, and paint him blue, and he looks like Appa Ali Apsa! Another Guardian that Guy had a tempestuous relationship with.

I don't know if this revelation is suddenly earth-shaking or anything, but still...it's a little bit interesting. What it really boils down to, is that it's snowing out, and I don't have the foggiest idea of what to blog about, so I'm really reaching deep and pulling this out of my ass.

And speaking of reaching, here's a picture of Hal wearing a poncho! Enjoy!

Hal PIctures

Talk about non-sequiteurs!

10 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Geez, you just HAD to pull up that old drawing of Hal doing his Clint Eastwood imitation, didn't ya? ;-)

I think you're on to something with Guy and Oberon, though. It does seem like Guy went out of his way at times to pull one over on Oberon -- and you may be right, it may be because Oberon resembled a Guardian! At least Guy would be able to pick on Oberon without suffering from any Guardian-level retaliation!

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

Ssh! Don't remind DC there's still one JLI member they haven't futzed with!

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that Bats is about to nail Guy yet again. Where is that scan from?

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger The one letter wonder said...

Your theories intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter :)

p.s. I Love that team pic of the JLI if for no other reason that what Guy is doing to Black Canary,lol.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Duskdog said...

I wonder if Beetle ever took advantage of Oberon's resemblance to a Guardian to prank Guy? I suspect that, after Guy Gardner on Ice, Kilowog wouldn't have offered to help with that one, though.

And there's yet another relationship of Fire's that fizzled out off-panel at some unknown time! You know your comic book love life sucks when no one can actually say when or how you broke up with any of your boyfriends. :(

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

The sight of Hal in that ridiculous poncho always cracks me up.

It's a little uncanny how much Oberon actually looks like a Guardian. Fortunately, he's a lot smarter, at least the way that they've been acting lately.

Pete, I think that scan is from the recent new printing of the first trade of the Giffen/De Matteis Justice League, which collects the first bunch of stories. If you haven't ever read them, they are a hoot.

Poor Fire. She does seem to have the worst luck with boyfriends. She's almost the female equivalent of Hal, when you come to think of it. Lots of one-night stands, but she runs like a rabbit at the first sight of committment. I've always thought that was why she dumped Guy. He was starting to get serious, and she may have gotten spooked.

I do wish they would bring back Oberon, because he's just so darn cute.

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger James Ashelford said...

You know, this makes a lot of the Guy/Oberon relationship, especially when you consider that Oberon basically ran the JLI whenever Max couldn't be bothered.

 
At 2:37 AM, Blogger James Ashelford said...

Lot of sense, I meant, lot of sense. Sorry, commenting without my glasses.

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Yeah, Max managed to dump all of the hard work on Oberon, and later on L-Ron, but that's just Max.

Guy and Oberon had a rather weird relationship, but I suppose I can say that about ALL of Guy's relationships in the old JLI.

I did love Oberon and Fire though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home