Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: New Comics!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, January 09, 2009

New Comics!

Took a while, but I finally got the new books. A small week, but a decent week. Heck any week is decent if it has Secret Six in it.

Did anyone pick up Black Lightning: Year One? I did, and I liked it. I don't really know all that much about Black Lightning, other than him showing up in JLA occasionally, and for that hysterically funny bit on Harvey Birdman, where he complains about his name, and says that if he has to be "Black" Lightning, then Aquaman should be called White Fish. Haw!

*ahem*

Anyway, I never even knew that Metropolis had such a rough section of town. That's probably because I'm a pampered white suburg-living Wasp. But well written, by Jen Van Meter, and well drawn by Cully Hamner.

The Haunted Tank #2 is also hilarious in a bizarre sort of way. I never thought that I'd actually feel sorry for James Ewell Brown Stuart, but the poor ghost is just so...flustered here.

Jonah Hex #39 was...both good and bad. It was a good story, with excellent dialogue, and a decent plot, but the art was a problem. Individual panels were nicely done, but the coloring was all dark and in sepia tones, which was a nice touch to try and make it look period, but trying to actually follow what was happening from panel to panel was very difficult...at least for me. It was a bit TOO murky, and hard to figure out exactly WHAT was happening. Especially on the last page. Others may have been able to follow it all, but I couldn't.

Secret Six #5 was my favorite of course. God, I love Deadshot, he's just ADORABLE! Er...for an amoral hardened killer, anyway. And good for Scandal, sticking up for Bane. I'm liking Bane more and more too. Shouldn't it be wrong to be rooting for the villains so much? Gail Simone does her usual more than competent job of setting up the story, and dialogue, so much of which was a hoot. Nicola Scott is an excellent artist. And the reveal on the last page? THAT'S a twist that I did not see coming.

Faces of Evil: Solomon Grundy. was...good! Some interesting touches, and a flash back to Alan Scott and Ted Knight. You can't go wrong with a book that has Alan Scott in it! Oh, and a nice fight with Killer Croc in the sewers.

Vixen: Return of the Lion #4. Another decent book. Very pretty art, and a good story. Plus, an interesting twist on what exactly it was that brought down Superman, and what the heck are they going to do about it.

Trinity #32. Things had stalled there for a little while, but the action seems to be picking up quite nicely lately. I don't know what a "Machinist" is, but apparently you don't want to be one.

So, I liked ALL of my books. I liked Jonah Hex too, I just wish I could have figured out what was going on with the pictures, instead of just the dialogue. But I'm funny that way.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I have heard a rumor that Beau Smith is going to be doing a Green Lantern Annual some time in 2009. This is FABULOUS news, if true. If there is one writer that gets Green Lanterns, especially Guy, it is Beau Smith.

7 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Really? I wonder if that annual is going to be tied to the Darkest Night storyline in any way. Hmmmmm ...!

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really don't like this particular artist on Jonah Hex. His style is nicely atmospheric, but that's about it. His storytelling is very hard to follow. He's done two previous issues, and I distinctly remember disliking one of them for the same reasons.

(I'm now curious, apparently the third didn't stick in my mind, so I'll have to re-read them and see what might have been different there.)

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I honestly can't get over the reveal at the end of Secret Six. It still haunts my dreams days later. I did not need nor want to see that. I think I might need to stab my eyes out. But then, now I have images of those things holding the eyes open in the reveal and... OH DEAR RAO!

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hate to tell you, but that was Black Vulcan (who was strictly a Superfriends character AFAIK, never existed in print) on Harvey Birdman, not Black Lightning. He's got a surprisingly accurate wiki page and everything:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Vulcan

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Secret Six was awesome. I need to get my review up. It's one of DC's best books.

I really enjoyed Vixen. She's gotten a chance to shine and the art is lovely.

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Oops. Black Vulcan eh? I told you I didn't know a lot about Black Lightning. I still liked his book though.

Vixen was so pretty, and Secret Six just delights me to no end.

Sea, I don't have the faintest idea what the annual is going to be about, but if Beau is writning it, I'm a'gonna read it.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger nicodemus88 said...

I couldn't have my comics since two weeks but a Gl annual done by Beau Smith it is a very good new, thanks for the tip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home