Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Pat Gleason is a Darned Good Artist

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Pat Gleason is a Darned Good Artist

As I had already explained in my earlier post, I've been going back and re-reading all of my Green Lantern Corps books in one fell swoop. And I'm noticing things that I hadn't noticed before.

Have I mentioned that I really really like Pat Gleason's artwork? At first, I wasn't too sure...it seemed a little bit too exaggerated and cartoony to me. But the more that I have seen of it, the better I like it. Especially in the last couple of issues, where his artwork has been combined with that of Dave Gibbons. I have the greatest of respect for Mr. Gibbons, really I do, but their two styles of drawing are just SO different...too different to successfully co-exist in the same book.

Mr. Gleason has a certain fluidity to his linework, that really appeals to me, his action sequences just flow so nicely. He's also capable of depicting a wonderful variety of body types, with both men and women, which is unnusual for comic books anyway. And he draws Aliens, like nobody's business! Wonderful, aliens, who don't look anything like a white American male figure.

What really gets to me, is the way that he shows how Guy's ring is always sparking. This was originally established back in Green Lantern: Rebirth, when Geoff Johns was explaining how all the various Lanterns had very personal quirks when using their rings. Kilowog's ring makes sound, Kyle's is endlessly changing, John's show the underlying structure...and Guy's is like a leaky garden hose, always sparking and spraying. And by God, he shows it in so many panels,
Guy may just be standing there, but that ring has a cascade of glowing green sparks. It is a really cool effect, and one that I'm glad they didn't just forget about.

Guy pictures

Tell, me, that's not one cool Guy Gardner.

3 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who couldn't love that pic? Even his armpit and his crotch glitters. Brilliant!

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

It's because he so manly.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I liked Gleason from the start mainly because his work bears a strong resembelance to Doug Mahnke's art which I love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home