Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Feeling Cranky

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Feeling Cranky

I know, I know... yet another whiny post. But I have been checking out some of the previews for DC and Marvel... and it looks as though we are in for another summer of darkness. I think... that the whole Captain America and Hydra lunacy is going to end... thank god... but it still looks pretty dreadful. And DC has dark Batman or something going on. I honestly gave up after skimming through the storylines, because it was just too depressing.

I have dropped a TON of books lately, and haven't been all that excited about the ones that I DO read... as you can all tell from the lack of reviews. I still keep taking home Green Lantern Corps, hoping that maybe some scintilla of plot will appear, but so far it just keeps dully slogging along. It is... adequate, but no more than that.

Squirrel Girl, Saga and Ms. Marvel continue to delight, and I have been enjoying Doctor Strange, although I was disappointed with the absence of Bachelor as the artist. He has such a knack for the bizarre, and the cheerful tones of the coloring made it all delightfully surreal... which fits a Doctor Strange book to a tee. The new artist is heavy on the blacks and much less whimsical, and now the colors are all gray and gloomy, so a lot of the charm is gone.

The Champions are still fabulous though. And Mighty Thor is pretty great... but it needs more Loki. Original Thor has finally discovered that Jane Foster is the new Thor and he's being a real jerk about it. Oh, and Voltage is now War Thor. It is... complicated.

Oddly enough, I rather like the new Nick Fury book. It is almost as if Stefano got caught in a crayon factory explosion, but it is... quirky, and I do enjoy quirky.

So I think I will continue to stay far far away from any crossovers as much as is humanly possible. I heard that DC had gone through yet ANOTHER rebirthing, and someone old favorites are back...LOVE Wally... but it may be too little too late.

Sorry to be so cranky. I just want my comics to be good again.

6 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger Erin S. said...

Agreed on the Captain America story. Do you mean the Metal Batman storyline? As far as I've heard its a JL based story that deals with the origin of the metal they use like Aquaman's trident. It has some weird stuff but I haven't heard it was dark. According to a source online there might be a more positive bat event happening soon-ish.

I don't review everything I read either. I don't understand why DC doesn't just have separate GL titles again. Either partner them up in three different titles or give Hal his own book and put the rest in two other series. I've seen plenty of pissed fans over this.

DC is still going through some growing pains with Rebirth. Wally's return was pretty emotional but I'm not sure of DC knows what to do with him.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I'm really enjoying DC Rebirth. I'm reading more DC than I have in a long time and I'm considering reading Aquaman in trades since it's getting great reviews. As for Wally, he's in the Titans book and the Titans book has been enjoyable. I think not much will get resolved, though, until the fall when they do the separate story about The Button and hopefully, resolve the mystery of the missing five years in everyone's life. I'm just happy to have the DC characters acting like themselves again, including the Super family. I haven't read any Green Lantern books since before New 52, so can't comment on them.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Erin, I started reading about the Batman plotline, and just gave up.

Shelly, I WANT to read more DC, because I love so many characters, but I am not sure I can force myself to jump back in right away. I guess I am just feeling a bit burned out.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Sally, you could pick one of the trades and give it a try. I'd recommend Wonder Woman or Superman. Titans is okay, and while it's been darker, Green Arrow has been great. I also love Nightwing, though the first arc was a bit dark. Super Sons is fairly new and fun, too, if Jon Kent and Damian Wayne sparring is up your alley. I was so eager to be reading DC again -- I missed those characters so much during New 52 -- that I read all the first Rebirth titles that sounded remotely interesting, then stayed with the ones I liked most. The only way to find comics you enjoy is to give things a try. Or do what I did after New 52 started: try other companies. I got heavily into Image titles.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I haven't read any Batman books since I was sent Year Zero as a gift. I just lost interest and I'm not a fan of any of the Eternal writers work. But if the rumor about the positive bat event is true I might have to get it. Partly to support positive storyline and show the ones in charge that upbeat stuff can sell.

So far it looks like I'll be reading about a dozen different titles this year. Some I only got for an issue but still worth noting. Some were boring, some were amazing, three suffered from a bad crossover and some I haven't read yet. Thus far Booster Gold/Flintstones is the weirdest book of the year.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I got that Booster/Flintstone book... and yes, it was mighty peculiar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home