Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Oh Marvel

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Oh Marvel

So I finally broke down and actually read all my books from the past couple of weeks, and by Jove they were pretty darned good! Which makes Marvel's idiocy about Hydra and Captain America even more infuriating. How can a company that is creating such fabulous books as Ms. Marvel, Doctor Strange, Thor and Squirrel Girl, also coming up with such utter drivel as Cap being evil?

And not apparently, under a spell, or mind control either. He was just always evil.

Right.

Sometimes retcons work. This... is not one of those times. And blaming more diversity in your books for the plummeting sales is cowardly and disingenuous at best. I know I am not buying this crap, because I am fond of Cap, and I don't think Nazis are good except as punching bags.  Or as talking dinosaurs... that works too. Marvel has just been astonishingly tone-deaf y about this whole Hydra thing, and I am quite disgusted.

It was the last issue of Hellcat, which made me sad, but it was funny and silly, and had a happy ending, so there are worse ways to go I suppose. 

The thing with the evil internet was resolved nicely in Ms Marvel. Not my favorite story line, but still head and shoulders above a lot of books.

More about Rip Hunter, who has gone back... or ahead... in time to save the Green Lantern Corps.  Hal is an utter jackals... even more so than usual. When Kyle says that Rip couldn't have made his own ring, Hal preens and just can't resist pointing out that HE can ! Oh Hal. John pontificates, Kyle is busy hitting on Soranik, because he apparently forgot how they broke up in the first place, and there is a sad lack of Guy.

Guy was tight with Booster. Would he have known who Rip was, I wonder?

Doctor Strange was fabulous. Damn I do like this book. Wong is saved. The good Doctor is still arrogant, but comes through when the chips are down, and they will need a new fridge.

Thor and assorted Aesir deities all work together to defeat the Shi'ar God's... and bot howdy, do THOSE two have an inflated opinion of themselves!  They manage to piss off their own worshippers with their hubris, but also manage to summon the Phoenix, which is never a good thing.  good stuff as usual, and gosh, the art is so pretty.

Arches was great as always, and I am STILL in shock over typing those words.

And finally, I picked up the new Nick Fury book out of curiosity... and liked it! The artist seems to be channeling Stefano, and pulling it off quite well. It was fast paced, bright, and had lots of explosions. Not bad at all!

10 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I didn't know Rip Hunter was in a Green Lantern book. I love Rip Hunter.

As for Captain America, I finally dropped it a couple of issues ago. I didn't have a problem with the story and the writing and art was good, but it's been going on way too long.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

And it is going to go on all summer too! oh, and yes, Rip showed up wearing a green lantern ring which freaked everyone out, and Hal was busy jumping to conclusions and posturing, while John as usual WA the voice of reason.

And Guy wasn't even in it other than as background!

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

Canon seems to have people unaware of Rip at present. Unless Booster told Guy it seems unlikely that he'd know. I guess this means Hal helping Rip look for Batman didn't happen. I admit I wondered if Guy not meeting Rip was for a reason or if Guy would have acted like Hal. I'd love if the JLI friendships were back and Guy would be Rip's uncle.

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Oh, I do miss that old JLI continuity!

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...



Poor Steve. It looks like any misgivings might have about his organization are overridden by his desperation not to lose his "old" pal/surrogate brother/closeted love interest Zemo.

It feels like someone saw the movies and had a strong desire to deconstruct the Steve/Bucky relationship and its levels of codependency.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Zemo?

Seriously???

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously.

I'll say this for the Red Skull: he sure was evil, but he had a wicked sense of humor.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

All the best villains do!

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I got read the final issue of Hellcat. That was about as good a conclusion as I could hope for.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

It had a more or less happy ending, which seems to be rare in this day and age.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home