Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Finally...Some Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Finally...Some Reviews

I can't really explain why I am doing two weeks worth of reviews at once, other than I am really really lazy.

Green Lantern Corps#12

Well, this is a bundle of green and yellow and orange fun!  The Green Lanterns and the Sinestro Corps fight against Larfleeze and Brainiac, and are joined by none other than Hal and Kyle and Ganthet and Sayd.  It is drawn by Van Sciver, who does his usual rather epic job,and it is all fairly standard Super Hero/Green Lantern stuff...but dammit, I enjoyed it.  John actually does leadership stuff, Guy hits things, Soranik is smart, Hal hits things, and Kyle is useful. 

It's...nice in a comforting old-school sort of way.

Wonder Woman #14

Well, Ares shows up, and he's apparently behind the terrorists, but Diana does her awesome thing, and the art is just senSATional, and Steve is very very pretty.  It's fabulous as usual.

The Champions #4

Gosh, I do love these crazy kids.  They are still getting used to one another, and end up crashing over the ocean, but their mad skills save them, but they are kidnapped by some Atlanteans, and they all use their brains as well as their brawn to get out of it, and...oh, I do love this book.  I still miss the Young Avengers, but this is a worthwhile successor.

Hawkeye #2

Kate, as usual is a little over her head, and leaps before she looks, but that's her style. Mikka has been kidnapped, and the stalkers are being...influenced, and there is a mass meeting of mean frat boys or something, and I am pretty sure that Madame Masque has something to do with it, but the art is great, and it's the usual good stuff from Kelly Thompson

Ms. Marvel #14

Kamala participates in some sort of on-line role-playing group.  As an old person, I freely admit that I know NOTHING about this, except what I have heard from my kids and picked up here and there.  One of the avatars (is that the correct word?) knows something he or she shouldn't, and Kamala does a little on-line investigating but someone has been hacked and someone has been attacked, and it is all the usual Ms. Marvel goodness.

I am so glad that there is actually some fallout from what happened with Civil War. Is that over yet?  Carol is gone and Bruno is gone, and she misses them.  Usually someone dies or leaves in a storyline and nobody ever mentions them again, until they are resurrected by the next writer.  So...again, kudos.

Nova #2

I have never ever read Nova before, considering it a pale copy of the Green Lantern Corps, but hey, this is...pretty good!  I like Sam from the Champions and the Avengers before that, and I loved his family party. It is almost like having Jaime Reyes back, except it is Marvel and not DC. But THIS was how Jaime/Blue Beetle should have been written!

I don't know a lot about Rich, but I like him too.  And, frankly, Cosmo the Soviet Space Dog is an AWESOME character!  Nice to see them back at Knowhere, and the heartfelt reception they get is also nice.

This is a really good book.


Squirrel Girl #16

It's Doreen's 20th Birthday, and she's having a party!  With Iron Man, and Thor and Loki and all her buddies, and we learn about her history, and her first birthday party and first fight, and oh...it is lovely. 

Loki's present is the best of course. 

The Mighty Thor #15

Well, for some reason, Gladiator of the Shiar shows up on Asgard, beats up Heimdall and kidnaps Thor.  We don't really know why, but I am sure that there is a reason.  Cul is a jerk as usual.  Odin doesn't show up, and why should he?  No Loki either, which is always a shame.  He was probably at Doreen's Birthday party. 

Frankly, I don't really like the jerks from Shiar all that much.  Is Lilandra even around any more?   Guess we'll find out.

The Unworthy Thor #3

And speaking of jerks,Not- Thor is still having behavioral problems.  He's still imprisoned by the Collector, and trying to pick up the other-worldly version of his hammer. Beta Ray Bill is there, and tries to help, but Not-Thor beats him up a bit. A lot of the problem is that Gorr is still in Not-Thor's head, and messing with him.

You know who does show up? Thori, Loki's little Hel-Hound, all grown up, and still as cranky as ever!  I love Thori!  Maybe I just have a thing for talking dogs or something.  Marvel seems to have a thing for dog sidekicks lately, and that is a trend that I can definitely get behind.  Also Toothgnasher, one of Not-Thor's goats is here too.  With a Hel Hound and a giant Goat on your side, how can you lose? 

This is...pretty good actually.

Not a clunker in the bunch!  That's how I like my comics!

5 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah. They fridged Lilandra ages ago, after various indignities.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I did not know that! However, I can believe the indignities.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

It was a good week! Wonder Woman was divine, and I enjoyed Champions -- thanks for convincing me to try it! -- and Ms. Marvel. I do hope they bring back Bruno at some point, though. I miss him.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Champions is just darned fun! And god yes, I miss Bruno.

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Mista Whiskas said...

Great reviews as usual! I wish Marvel would get Cosmo his own regular title, I can't get enough of him!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home