Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Thursday's Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, July 09, 2015

Thursday's Reviews

Well, it was Wednesday, and the pickings were slim.  So very very slim.


Batman #42

I like Snyder and I like Capullo...but I think I am dropping this. I really don't want to read about a mustacheless James Gordon in a moth suit.  If that makes me shallow, then shallow I shall proudly be.

Some stuff happens. He gets a Batmobile, but it is actually a Bat-truck thing, but apparently it gets blowed up, or something, and bad guys are dying, and he fights a building or something.  I'm just...not feeling it.

Fables: The Wolf Among Us #7

Man, that Ichabod Crane was a nasty dude. He was responsible for the Salem Witch Trials!  Who knew?  Meanwhile, Bigby is nosing around a sleezy motel, and finds none other than Beauty running the front desk in order to...pay off some debts.  She agrees to show Bigby to one of the rooms as he's running down a lead, but naturally Beast shows up and thinks there is some hanky panky going on, and a brawl ensues. Turns out the hotel room was the scene of one of the murders, and the perp has a weird fixation on Snow White.

Oh, Ichabod! 

Pretty good actually.  After stalling for a bit, things have picked up the pace.

Gotham Academy #8

I still wish that Damian had stayed around a bit longer, but what the hey.  Olive's mother has died, and some kid is a Man-Bat.  Or should that be a Boy-Bat?  Kyle is worried about Olive, who has developed...eerie powers.

I don't think that the kids actually go to class too often, but I do like this book.

JLA #2

I...really haven't a clue as to what is going on here.  I know that it is more or less out of continuity, and it is always nice to see Hal flitting about, except that or some reason he and Barry are missing, and so is Wonder Woman.  But Rao, the God of Krypton shows up and Cal is besotted.  And Rao, even though he managed to let Krypton blow up (as Aquaman points out) is here to make everything better!

Disciples are wandering around, preaching the word and healing the sick, as Rao sucks up to a bedazzled Cal.  Batman as usual is completely suspicious, and Aquaman is rather hilarious, and it's not actually bad.  Pretty good even, and the art is pretty of course. 

You could do worse.  I'm pretty sure that Rao is going to turn out to be a fraud, but it's fun in the meantime.

JLU #ll

What the heck happened to this book?   Adam Strange is gone, and they brought in Mera, Poison Ivy, Jason Blood and Swamp Thing to fight a big...Thing.  Did I miss something?  Mera is snarky, Swampie is stoic, Jason isn't shirtless nearly enough, and Ivy is...girlish and winsome? What the heck? 

The artist was trying to do all sorts of interesting things, and there were some cool layouts, but still...on the whole I found it rather difficult to navigate, and I'm still not completely sure what happened.  A shame really, I was liking this book a lot at the beginning. But I thought this was a bit of a mess. An ambitious mess, but a mess nevertheless.

I am in a mood today!

Section Eight #2

I was really looking forward to this issue, with Hal and all.  The first one was a hoot, but this one misses a few beats.  Six-Pack is still looking for a new recruit, and there really are only so many times that a drunk barfing on everything is all that funny.  There is an amusing montage with him trying to return a bunch of used Green Lantern T-shirts, and arguing with the clerk while a massive battle rages through the window between Hal and a giant red Space Dinosaur.

Hal is getting interviewed after the fight, and being all self-congratulatory (naturally, this is Hal) when Six-Pack runs over to invite him to join their doughty band. Hal thinks its some sort of Stunt, and he's about to get punked, and stomps off in a cab, threatening to call his lawyer. Why he didn't simply fly away, I couldn't tell you. 

It was mildly amusing, but not a real knee-slapper.

And then we get to the gem of the day.

Saga #30

Man, the bodies just keep falling in the book, which is why it is so fabulous and horrifying all at the same time.

Marco and Prince Robot's ship has crashed, and Ghus is worried, but Marco is only concerned about finding his family and goes after them armed to the teeth.  Alana is terrified, because the group that that idiot janitor hooked up with, has Hazel, and you really shouldn't get between Alana and her baby. Dengo, tells her not to worry because Klara is with the Hazel, but Klara has problems of her own. 

The body count is rising, and the ship with Hazel and Klara takes off, leaving Alana and Dengo in the snow...and Alana isn't happy. Not at all. 

And then Marco shows up,and he's not happy either, although he is VERY happy to see his wife...and she him.

Awwww!

Dengo thinks he's going to get out of this, but then Prince Robot stalks up and  just blows him away.

Also, they managed to save the Will, which is good, but have to admit that the Brand was killed in the attempt which makes the Will very very cranky.

And Hazel is in preschool. 

God, I love this book. 

So, a bit of a mixed bag this week.  Either I'm getting more discerning, or more jaded about my books, I'm not sure which.

6 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger Mista Whiskas said...

On the positive side it seems you got Hal appearances in two-non-GL books this week :). I hope it wasn't the trench-coat-long-hair-ringless current version.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I'm not looking forward to seeing this version of Batman turning up in the titles I'm reading, I'm just not interested.

The game version of the Wolf Among us does have the story going at a faster pace. Crane is a piece of work alright and there are other creeps running around too. It really highlights the fact that Bigby is the right person for the job because no one else can handle these guys.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I haven't read Gotham Academy yet, but Saga continues to wring every bit of emotion from my aching heart. That comic continues to amaze me.

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Mista, I did indeed get the old Hal. I assume that new hairy Hal is going through some kind of...phase.

Erin, I too, am not really feeling the new Batman. I like Gordon, but he's not Batman, and he never will be. It's more than putting on a silly moth suit and going out to fight criminals and more than fancy gadgets. I am enjoying the new Damian book by Pat Gleason however, which rather surprises me.

Shelly, Gotham Academy was pretty good, but it usually is. Saga on the other hand...why do they make me care about characters and then kill them off? Gaaaaahhhh!

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

That's too bad about Section Eight. I'd actually like to see his new team at least try to fight crime, maybe while Sixpack is continuing the recruitment drive? Presumably that's why these guys joined up (or to weld dogs to people's faces, either one).

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Its a new dogwelder too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home