Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Thursday's Reviews of Wednesday's Comics

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, January 08, 2015

Thursday's Reviews of Wednesday's Comics

What a nice week.  Really, a really really nice week. 

Fairest #33

Well, this is the last issue of Fairest, but the story is continued in the final story in Fables.  I'm sorry to see it go, it had its ups and downs, but heck, I like the characters.

In this last issue, we actually get to see none other than Goldilocks, who is still up to her nefarious ways...trying to overthrow governments and peddle her particular brand of moonshine and sleeze.  Goldilocks is a bad bad girl and she's probably going to get her comeuppance sooner or later.

Fun in a weird sort of way.

Green Lantern #38

Best issue in ages! 


Justice League 3000 #13

I only started reading this because of Booster and Beetle last month, and this month, they continue to delight me.  It's a fairly thin story, with my favorite pair up to their usual antics, but heck, I don't care, I just miss them so much, that I'd probably read a book that consisted of nothing but them slapping each other like the Three Stooges. 

Oh, and for some reason Wonder Woman...who may actually BE Wonder Woman...like I said, I haven't been reading this, but as far as I can tell the rest of the League are more or less clones or something...has teamed up with...some people, and find an ice castle inhabited by...Ice?  My sweet little Tora no less. She is still considerably less sweet than she used to be, and is now an apparently immortal Ice Goddess.  Does this mean that they have dumped Winick's idiotic retcon of her origin? Because that would make me very happy.

It's  little muddled and confused, but heck, I don't care.  It has some of my favorite people in it, and for now...that's enough.

Not a lot of DC this week, but surprisingly a fair amount of Marvel!

Angela: Asgard's Assassin #2

I really only picked this up because of Kieron Gillen, whom I really really like, because Angela as a character means nothing to me, other than I wish she'd put some clothes on.  But now she seems to be Thor's big sister, and that's a problem because she was stolen as a baby and raised to hate Asgard.  The family is trying to introduce her to the clan, and Freyja gives birth to her and Odin's new baby, and that's nice except that Angela decides to run off with her new baby sister, which for some reason angers the Asgardians. 

I bet their castle is just LOADS of fun at Thanksgiving.  Thor is cranky, Loki quips, and it actually...isn't bad1

Ant-Man #1

I heard good things about this, and decided to give it a try...and I'm glad that I did. 

Scott is back from the dead...somehow and so is Cassie...somehow and they are trying to reconnect over the objections of her divorced mother, and Scott is applying for a job at Stark, which turns out to be quite the interview!  Man, Tony Stark is a douche of the first order! 

He does get the job, much to his combined horror and joy, but it is all for naught since his ex decides to move back to Florida with Cassie.  So...he quits, goes after her and they decide to live in a doll house.

It's...delightful.

Hawkeye vs Deadpool #4

This was a silly little team-up, but a highly amusing little team-up, and it also had Kate in it, who has been introduced to the thrill of shooting Really Big Guns.  They save the hard drive thingie that has all the SHIELD info, and capture everyone with the exception the the Black Cat who manages to escape and is still a villainess.  And Clint realizes that if only he had paid attention way back at the beginning he could have saved someone, which isn't a bad lesson to learn I guess. 

This was about the only thing that I could actually stand Deadpool in, (with the exception of Googam's hilarious spoofs on his blog at Random Happenstance) and Kate is always fun, and oh heck...it was fun. 

Ms Marvel #10

I'm always a week or so late getting this book, which drives me mad, but I get it eventually, and Gosh, I adore it so.  She saves the kids, only to find that the Villain has convinced them that their lives have no value, and they might as well serve as living batteries for his stuff. Kamala of course convinces that their lives ARE important, as only she can, and does her hero thing.

But Lockjaw gets Dog-napped! 

The art, the story, the dialogue...is divine.  And hilarious.  And even more divine.  God, I love this book.


The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1

And speaking of love! 

Squirrel Girl is moving out of the attic of the Avengers Mansion and going to college for some reason. She stuffs her big bushy tail in her pants, and rocks her badonkadonk.  She has a Theme Song!  She talks to Squirrels!  And she fights Kraven right out of the bat, and convinces him that he's setting his sights too low by focusing only on Spider-Man and maybe he should go fight some whales or something for a REAL challenge! 

This is...adorable.  And funny.  It's lighthearted and its beautifully drawn, and oh, I think I'm hyperventilating.

Marvel, I was so angry with you over the whole Civil War debacle, and I still can't bring myself to read the 900 Avengers and X-Men books anymore, but when it comes to odd quirky little series...you are certainly delivering.  I'm still heartbroken about losing She-Hulk, but at least this little book and Ms Marvel are out there.

Delightful!

Man, it really was a fabulous week!

3 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, Blogger Arion said...

So Angela is supposed to be Thor's sister. Bloody hell! That doesn't make sense, does it?

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Arion, it makes absolutely no sense at all, but hey...comics.

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Boosterrrific said...

Giffen has said that the continuity of JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000 takes a right turn from the familiar DCU sometime before COUNTDOWN. So Max Lord isn't evil (though I suppose he IS still a cyborg, so no reason why he and L-Ron couldn't show up in JL3K) and Blue Beetle never died (though he still has his heart condition as seen in BIRDS OF PREY). Since JUSTICE LEAGUE GENERATION LOST couldn't therefore happen, neither could Tora's origin retcon! In JL3K, she's still a real, true Ice Goddess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home