Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Winter is Taking Over

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Winter is Taking Over

Another Tuesday, another snowstorm. I swear, it seems as though Ice is battling the Weather Wizard up here in our frozen neck of the woods. And now that I come to think about it...I would totally read that story. Of course, I would read about Fire and Ice doing each others nails, but that's just me.

I do remember that story that was in Justice League Quarterly, where Wonder Woman had the pajama party, which was a lot of silly fun. I rather miss the Quarterly books. It was a nice place to catch up with characters that couldn't necessarily carry their own book, but whom I was fond of, nevertheless.

I did manage to pick up the Justice League International volume that came out last week, although it is actually about the JLI: Europe branch of the League. Written of course by Giffen and DeMatteis, with art by Bart Sears.

You have Captain Shinypants...oops, I mean Captain Atom over in Paris of all places, with Power Girl, the Elongated Man, Wally West as the Flash, Animal Man, Rocket Red and Metamorpho. It was...and eclectic bunch to be sure, but for some reason it never quite clicked the same way with me, that the regular bunch of idiots in the regular JLI did.

Wally was at his most puerile, Peej was a tad on the shrewish side, Animal Man just seem confused most of the time, but at least Ralph and Sue were together. Oh, and Crimson Fox shows up eventually too. I DID love the story where they all go to school to learn some basic French, since NONE of them can speak a word of it, except Ralph, and possibly Dmitri. Naturally the Injustice League also shows up and hilarity ensues. This book also had the episode with the regular League, when Guy was in his sweet little girl stage, and they had all gathered for a weenie roast at the Frees...complete with Booster and Beetle repossessing a tank, Fire and Ice getting a modeling job, and the Joker running around for some reason.

Silly? Yes. Oh yes. And yet somehow I really miss silliness sometimes. Maybe when people's limbs are being ripped off, and small children are being killed right and left, but again, that's just me. There must be some people who just LOVE that sort of thing, because Marvel and DC sure keep giving it to us.

I guess that I'm just feeling a little blue about all of the wintery whiteness that is piled up to the sills outside my windows. But tomorrow is Wednesday after all, and that is always a good thing. So try and stay warm, and read you comics.

Oh, and hug your cat if you have one.

Photobucket

I've posted this picture mainly because my own cat is trying to lick himself on top of the computer desk AS I am typing this, and because it always makes me smile. And because it's Tuesday, and so we could ALL use a smile.

8 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger Gary said...

"Animal Man just seem confused most of the time"

Hardly surprising - this was during the Grant Morisson era!

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Hah! I hadn't thought of that.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I'm having a bit of a hard time seeing Wonder Woman having a pajama party. She seems like more of a camping person.

I guess it would depend on what they did. Drink some wine? Make popcorn? Trade war stories, or humorous anecdotes about their coworkers? I bet Diana has some real knee-slappers about Hal.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

"I would read about Fire and Ice doing each others nails, but that's just me." So would I!

Ice vs. Weather Wizard or Captain Cold? That would be quite awesome.

I miss silliness, too. As long as it doesn't get TOO silly. I like a nice balance like there was in the earlier JLI issues. Humor is sorely missing in comics today!

I love that picture of PG's cat, especially the "Streaky" reference. :)

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger James Ashelford said...

Oh, that annual with the Joker trying to assassinate the League is one of my favourite comiics of all time, especially for the scene where Ruman Harjavti mistakes him for Eemmet Kelley.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

James, that annual was an utter hoot from beginning to end.

Calvin, the pajama party was a little ridiculous...mainly because Diana had NO idea of what was supposed to happen, so she got "tips" from none other than Ted Kord. Oh...it was wonderful. Insane, but wonderful.

Liss, we REALLY need a Fire and Ice mini-series. Seriously.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Can you promise the Fire & Ice mini won't be written by Judd Winick?

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Gaahhh!

Don't FRIGHTEN me like that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home