Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: I Just Had a Thought!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Sunday, January 09, 2011

I Just Had a Thought!

Well, actually I've had several, but this just struck me for some reason. Do you all recall, that waaaay back when the idea of Agent Orange had just come up, and Geoff Johns was doing his re-telling of Hal's origin in Green Lantern? There was a lovely bit with Hector Hammond discovering the meteorite powering Abin Sur's space ship, and the way that it turned him into the mind-reading, huge-headed lunatic that we all know and love.

At the time, I remember being struck by the fact that the coloring was conspicuously presented in...Orange. Naturally I thought that Johns was giving us some not-so-subtle clues! Well, I was wrong of course, it is never THAT easy. And Agent Orange turned out to be Larfleeze anyway. And yet...going back and looking at it again, there WERE clues! Because Hector Hammond has been freed by Kronos, and swallowed the Orange Battery, so now basically he is Ophidian, the Greed Entity. So actually he IS Agent Orange in a roundabout sort of way!

I don't know why, but this strikes me as being rather cool. And it is yet another reason why just about everything that Geoff Johns does in a Green Lantern book has meaning. Somehow and somewhere, that insignificant clue may show up and end up being rather important.

It makes me want to see more of Hammond, that's for sure. Considering his obsession with Hal, this may just backfire on Kronos.

9 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

I'm VERY curious to see how Hammond is depicted in the upcoming movie. He would be a very easy character to screw up.

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger TotalToyz said...

I know I read too much into the comics, but a whole allegory of the Green Lanterns has recently occurred to me.

The Guardians, usually depicted as a bunch of white-haired old men who all look alike (legion, they are many), are watching over the Universe.

Sinestro was once the greatest of their "light-bringers", until he fell from grace and was banished to a hellish realm, from which he strikes back at the world.

The Guardians' "favorite son", Hal Jordan, died to save the world, but rose from the dead.

Oh yeah, I read way too much into this stuff.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Gee, Totaltoyz, that's actually an aspect that I never considered...but it does make a certain amount of sense now, doesn't it?

For some reason all the Guardians look like Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman to me.

I have to say, Sea, that visually, Peter Saarsgard looks sensational, in the pictures from the movie that I've seen so far. I am looking forward to viewing it with GREAT anticipation!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger TotalToyz said...

For some reason all the Guardians look like Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman to me.

At a comics convention panel in 1992, I saw Julie Schwartz say they were supposed to look like Ben Gorian.

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger TotalToyz said...

Pardon my spelling; I meant Ben-Gurion.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Really? I can't necesarily see it, myself. On the other hand, I do believe that Hal was supposed to be based on Paul Newman, and I can't see that either.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger TotalToyz said...

Peter David, who was also on the panel, had the opposite reaction. He cried out, "Oh my God, they do look like Ben-Gurion! I guess that's why there's no women on Oa; they'd look like Golda Meir!"

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2008/03/27/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-148/

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

*snicker*

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

I love how you can keep all of this straight, Sally, and remember all these little details!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home