Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Joe is a regular Guy

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Joe is a regular Guy

You know who I never talk about? Guy's evil clone, Joe Gardner. I have to admit to having a tiny little bit of a soft spot for old Joe. He's so unremittingly evil most of the time, but really, he's gotten the short end of the stick. It's no fun being a clone really.

Birds of Prey

This is from my favorite Joe story, when he teamed up with Black Canary, way back when Chuck Dixon was writing Birds of Prey. Greg Land did the art, and he did an amazingly beautiful job, all things considered. This was when he actually knew how to draw, instead of just trace. He made an awful purty Joe anyway. And as bad as Joe was, or is, he wasn't completely terrible in this story.

He's dropped out of sight lately, which is a bit of a shame. But as far as I know, he's still wearing his hair in the old bowl cut. Joe doesn't like change apparently.

7 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

I had no clue Guy had a clone--
It's true what they say that you can learn one new thing every day.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Way back when, Guy had his own book, and he was kidnapped by the Draal, who were these very obnoxious aliens, who went around grabbing people and cloning them, and trying to take over with the clones. Guy ended up with a bunch of Green Lanterns no less, such as Graf Toren and Voz.

So he was cloned, and his evil clone was sent to earth, where he hung out with the Justice League, and managed to kill some guy. The REAL Guy managed to escape, came back and with a really big gun, defeated and captured his clone. Wonder Woman claimed to have known that she could tell the real Guy all along.

The Clone later escaped and managed some fairly hair-raising adventures. Haven't seen him in QUITE some time, but as far as I know, he's still out there...somewhere.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

I see--
Thanks a lot for the great explanation. It must have happened during the time I skipped the JLA because I never read about this. And since I wasn't following Warrior, I missed it entirely. Still, good to know.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

It was still the JLI, but it was post Giffen/DeMatteis and Maguire, back in the 90's. Wonder Woman was basically leading the team, and Maxima was around and Superman was being a real jerk.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

Yeah, that's when I stopped reading. I missed Giffen and DeMatteis so badly.

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

As a general rule, I HATE clones in comics (Spider-Man kinda ruined the whole premise for me). But Guy having a clone is different somehow. Much, much more potential for pure fun. :-)

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Joe does have a certain weird sort of charm. He's a cautionary tale of what Guy could have been without a conscience, I suppose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home