Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Well...Shoot

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Well...Shoot

Somehow when picking up my books on Wednesday, I managed to miss Power Girl. I've been enjoying Power Girl, partly because it's a fun book, partly because I just like Peej, and partly because I adore Amanda Conner's art. So either I was stupid and just didn't notice it, or my store got shorted, which has also happened before. Needless to say...but I'll say it anyway...I'll be picking this up this coming Wednesday!

Not a lot of other books this past week, but still not a bad bunch. Incredible Hercules was fun, although I do have to admit that I am simply DYING for the Hercules/Thor match-up. That bit on the last page of last months issue, where Thor is wearing Hercules loincloth and complaining about a draft just cracks me up.

Justice League wasn't bad. A straight-forward adventure story will all the members, and Roulette. I rather like Roulette. Nothing spectacular, but nothing terrible. Besides...it had Plastic Man in it. It DIDN'T have Superman, so I am not quite sure what he's doing displayed so prominently on the cover, but what th heck.

Blackest Night:Superman #2 WAS pretty good however. Supergirl is having a simply awful time of it on New Krypton, while the Psycho Pirate is wreaking havoc on the emotional state of Smallville. Oh, and dead Lois is chasing Ma Kent through a cornfield. I'm pretty sure that Ma Kent can take her.

Detective Comics, with Batwomn continues to be a good read. I am sure that you are all tired of hearing about how insanely beautiful the art by J.H. Williams is. Well...too bad. Because it is really really gorgeous.

Finally, there was the Secret Origin of Superman, with Geoff Johns and Gary Frank. While I know the origin of Superman backwards and forewards, I always enjoy Geoff Johns take on things and there are many a worse way of spending an afternoon, than staring at the simply sensational artwork of Gary Frank. And besides, the whole heat vision thing was cute.

Wednesday Comics alas, have come to a finale, and I am going to miss it. It was an interesting medium, and while some of the stories were not my favorites, some of them were just wonderful, and in all cases, DC was trying to do something new and different and interesting, and I think that they succeeded. I hope that they ontinue with this format, and come out with some new stories, writers and artists...because I have discovered that I rather LIKE getting a serialized weekly offering. Now...if they could only figure out a way to bring out Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps on a weekly basis...!

4 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

I had a bad feeling about Wednesday Comics. DC tried that before (sorta) when they turned Action Comics into a weekly title way back in the '90s. It was an interesting experiment, and it turned out some pretty good stories, but it also felt way too rushed -- not worth the money. :-(

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

...oops, I meant way back in the '80s, not the '90s.

GEEZ, I'm old ...

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Justice League this week, Superman appeared in Vixen's flashback where she promises to keep the team together and he says he's counting on her. Storywise, it is supposed to be the turning point in the fight with the Royal Flush Gang, though it is thin gruel compared to the cover art.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

If you are only showing up in a flashback or as a figment of someone's imagination then you really don't deserve top billing on the cover.

Ahhh...good old Action Comics. Sometimes they were some pretty good stories, and sometimes they drove me insane.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home