Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Rage Against the Light

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Rage Against the Light

Man, this computer is beginning to annoy me. I was in the MIDDLE of posting, when it froze, so I apologize for yesturday. Not much of a week for me at the Comic Book store either, with no Green Lantern this week. (Boo!)

So I thought that I would touch on a future story. And since it involves Guy, I imagine that you can understand my interest.

Photobucket

Well! Pretty cool eh? This is the cover for Green Lantern Corps for December, I think. The solicit would have us believe that the death of a particular Lantern causes Guy to go bonkers, and bust out as a Red Lantern. Understandable, I suppose, since they've been quite particular about showing the various emotional states of the various Lanterns, and Guy has been glowing red. And he DOES have a bit of a temper, bless his heart.

Now the first conclusion that leaps to mind, is "Oh Gawd, they're going to kill off Ice!" And this IS a distinct possibility, given the foreshadowing of having Hal actually be jealous of Guy's happiness. We can't have THAT sort of thing going on, after all! On the other hand, Ice's return to the living has been universally greeted with delight. I cannot for the life of me, remember reading a single post where someone complained about it. People LIKE Ice. She's a wonderful character, and there was no good reason to have killed her off in the first place,which is something that Mark Waid even admits to.

So...I'm not completely convinced that they are going to kill her off again. Usually, the rule is that if you have died once and managed to come back, you are pretty safe. I see no reason to mess with this.

However...there IS one death that I can think of, that would drive Guy over the edge. Well...actually two, but Geoff Johns has assured us that Kyle isn't going to die. But if KILOWOG was to buy the farm, I can definitely see Guy going off the deep end.

Guy and Kyle are very close, friends as well as partners, but I am not sure that they are better friends than Guy and Kilowog, who have been tight for a VERY long time. I've always liked their friendship, and this is why I'm so very worried about Kilowog's wellfare. Because, after all, HE'S died once before as well, and then come back, so the same resurrection rule should also apply.

Same thing with Arisia, Her death would send Guy over the edge, as he's very fond of her as well, but once again, she's newly back amongst the living. Salaak? Maybe. As much as they bicker, I think that deep down, they actually like each other...although neither would ever admit it. Iolande or Soranik? Guy likes them, but I'm not sure that he'd go mad with rage. Same thing with Vath or Isamot. He's fairly good buddies with Graf Toren and Voz, and I think he's on pretty good terms with Brik, but who's death would turn him into a Rage Lantern?

What I do think will be interesting, is how will he cope with the Red power? Hal actually managed to retain a bit of his brains, and make constructs, which no other Rage Lantern was capable of doing. Considering Guy's past history with Sinestro's yellow ring, not to mention his temper, I am wondering if he'll be able to be coherent and make constructs as well. It would be a hoot if he managed to best Atrocitus at his own game. I also wonder if perhaps his Vuldarian background is going to come into play. That has been mostly swept under the rug, since Rebirth, but what the heck, I suppose that it's possible, it may be his salvation.

I do know ONE thing for sure. I can hardly wait until December.

10 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Blogger Duskdog said...

Ha, I just now saw this today and was on my way home to post about it, too. I'm a little disappointed in Guy getting a red ring because I really think you ought to have deep rage issues to even begin to qualify for one, but it's Geoff's story to tell, and apparently just having a moment of intense anger is enough. They have been foreshadowing it, but I was hoping that having a temper wouldn't equate to being consumed with rage.

Still, I can't wait to read it to see how Guy copes with it! It's looking like they're going to need all the Corps to work together to vanquish the Black Lantern threat, and I'm not sure whether or not Atrocitus would want the good guys to win. Sure, if the BLs win, he dies too, but he's also so full of milleniums worth of rage and hate that I'm not sure he would mind too much so long as Sinestro and the Guardians went down with him. Maybe Guy will be the one with enough control of himself to somehow manage to cooperate.

And I'm desperately afraid that Kilowog will be the one to die. Given the short list of people Guy cares about, coupled with the little that we do know, and the other things that are likely/unlikely for various reasons, Kilowog is really the choice that makes the most sense.

Noooo!

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Jake said...

They have been foreshadowing this for awhile. All the Black Lantern shots of Guy have him in Rage mode, and even way back in Green Lantern Rebirth he was described using his ring in the same terms that the Red Lanterns were.

Still, remember that at least one Earth Green Lantern has to leave to make room for the awesome space whale Green Lantern we see in Death of Animal Man. Hope is not lost!

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

I dunno, I think Guy does have deep rage issues. I know he's calmed down now but in JLI I get the impression he was an endless pit of rage, even if he didn't show it all the time.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Duskdog said...

He also had brain damage in JLI, which he no longer has. He definitely has a short temper, and when it goes off it really goes off, and he pouts a bit when he gets his feelings hurt, but he's the best guy in the world for not holding grudges, which is pretty much the basis of the rage of the other Red Lanterns we know. A lot of people have hurt him really badly over the years, and he is either friends with them now, or has at least made peace with every single one of them. (Batman being the possible exception, but his rivalry with Bats doesn't seem truly mean-spirited anymore, either.) He's the absolute most forgiving character that I can think of, and that doesn't seem to jive with the concept of the Red Lanterns.

I think the old Guy would have been a pretty godo candidate for a red ring, but modern Guy has grown past that kind of lingering, seething anger.

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. It's going to be interesting, and I really hope we get to see some of Guy's massive willpower come to bear, too... perhaps in trying to maintain half a brain while under the influence of the red.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

So when you say Hal could make constructs, you mean even while possessed by Red Lantern power he could use his GReen Lantern ring, or he was actually making stuff out of the red acid/blood/lava stuff he was vomiting forth?

'Cause the latter option, yikes.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Duskdog said...

Well, he was making red constructs, so... ewww.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Yup, it was red constructs. As Duskdog says..."eeuuw".

I guess a momentary lapse is all that it takes. It's true that Guy has a short temper, but then again...so does John. Remember when Sinestro described John as the angry one, back in the Sinestro Corps War? Hal doesn't really have much in the way of anger issues, and even HE was turned briefly into a Red Lantern...oddly enough for more or less of the same reason, anger at an untimely death.

I can't see Guy STAYING as a Red Lantern however, because again, as Duskdog points out, Guy is one of the most forgiving characters around. All things considered he's got a LOT to be angy about, and he has learned to live and let live for the most part.

But man, I'm worried about Kilowog.

They had better damn well resurrect everybody when this whole bloody thing is over with!

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

@Duskdog: Oh ok.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

Yeah, Kilowog, Kyle or Salaak were my guesses when I read the solicit. If WOG says Kyle's safe, my money's on Kilowog. Oh well. :-(

 
At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, the black ring has possessed Batman! And his first act on coming back from the dead? To punch Guy Gardner in the face! You'd be mad too...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home