Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: What a Bonanza!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, December 11, 2008

What a Bonanza!

Good Gravy, I LOVE the second Wednesday of the month! And this particular Wednesday was no exception. There were TONS of good books.

I managed to pick up the following:

Action Comics #872
Ambush Bug #5
Booster Gold #15
Final Crises #5
Final Crises: Revelations #4
Green Arrow/Black Canary #15
Green Lantern Corps #31
Justice Leave of America #27
Nightwing #151
Punisher: War Zone
Secret Six #4
Trinity #28
Lone Ranger #16

Hoohah! Not a clunker in the bunch, although I must admit to liking some more than others, or at least parts of some. Or something.

Seeing the Creature Commandos in Action Comics was a lot of fun. Poor Superman. Supergirl's mother is a real piece of work. Nice to see that Lex is having so much fun.

Ambush Bug is idiotic of course, but that's exactly what I'm looking for, so I'm always glad to read it. Plus the inclusion of Superboy Prime and the "Kandor Cheer" just MADE my day.

Booster Gold had Ralph in it! Oh, and Leonardo Da Vinci. And twin bickering. Dan Jurgens makes his debut as the writer as well as the artist,and I couldn't be happier. Oh Ralph.

Final Crises had a crapload of Green Lanterns, doing Green Lanterny things, which was very nice. Hal's hair was pretty. Guy showed up with Kyle and were simply magnificent. The Guardians weren't as stupid as they usually are.

I...I LIKED Final Crises. I know that it has been on the convoluted side, and it is ridiculously late, but what the heck. There are some really interesting ideas going on, and that two-page spread with the few remaining good guys was really spectacular. Not to mention the scan of all those Green Lantern butts falling into the singularity.

I think I need a cigarette. And I don't even smoke.

Final Crises: Revelations was...ok. I like Greg Rucka, but this one has been only mildly interesting. Still, the Huntress was cool.

Green Arrow/Black Canary sees the introduction of Andrew Kreisberg as the new writer. I thought that he did a fairly good job. He ain't Winick, and that's a plus in my book. The bit with Mia and the condoms was mildly amusing, and there was a cool cliffhanger.

Green Lantern Corps...well...I'll get to this later, but rest assured, that I am SERIOUSLY creeped out.

We finally get to see Dinah give the Trinity a good talking to, in JLA, and it is a talking to, that has been long overdue. I love the various guilty/sheepish looks on their faces, when Dinah discovers their secret clubhouse. She also has a very good point, it is about time they stop undermining her. Oh, and stuff goes on with Dr. Light. And those Milestone people.

Nightwing was oddly...sweet. A creepy confrontation with Two-Face, an INTERESTING pizza delivery, and the departure of whatshername...Dick's sort've girlfriend. But what I enjoyed the most, was the bit at the end. Quiet, but touching. Oh, and Alfred looks SO cool in that hat and the goggles.

In the Punisher:War Zone, Garth Ennis teams up with Steve Dillon again, and I'm just so thrilled. These two are like chocolate and peanut butter to me. And guess what...Ma Gnucci is alive and kicking! Well...not kicking...but you know what I mean. Good brutal fun.

Oh Secret Six, I just fall in love with you a little more each month. Again, a larger review of this to come. But the cover alone is hilarious.

Trinity just keeps plugging along,and being a good solid read. This is so much better than Countdown, that I can't even believe it, and yet I've heard that its numbers are worse, which I find to be unbelieveable.

Lone Ranger...well this is a very very good issue. One of my favorites so far, I think.

What did everyone ELSE buy this week?

8 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

"Justice Leave of America"

Was that a Freudian slip, Sally? ;-)

Sounds like I'd better go buy myself a pack of menthols before reading Final Crisis! And I don't smoke, either!

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are people just scared away from weekly series now, in a generally pissy mood about DC, or what? Because I don't get why most people don't seem to dig TRINITY as much as I do. It's pretty much everything I want from a DC comic.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger antoniosugizo said...

Green Lantern Corps? WTH?? O__o

Damn... I can't believe I forgot to pick this one up... -__-;

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

I got ssue sor so of Trinty and din't like it the the big 3 plotline, and I got the hump with how Diana was portrayed. For a weekly series, and a lot of cash to be forked out, it didn't grab me enough.
I guess I didn't give the story enough of a go, but I did like Tarot, and I expect I'll be buying the trades.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

dammit, that was meant to say 6 issues. Damn unfamiliar keyboards.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Ironic said...

1. Love the blog.

2. I, too, liked Final Crisis, and I really disliked Secret Invasion, so many of my friends won't look at me, or talk to me....

3. I really like what JMS is doing with Thor. It's a great read.
I also highly recommend (if you haven't read it before) Daredevil: Yellow.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger B.G. Christensen said...

My favorites this week were JLA for the Dinah/Trinity confrontation and Nightwing for that sad little empty chair at the end.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Hah hah, Saranga types worse than I do!

Sea, Final Crises is really WORTH it, for the GL's. *sigh*

It's possible that people are a little leery of picking up another weekly series, after the spectacular crash and burn of Countdown...I was a tad on the leery side myself. And let's face it, it DID take Trinity a few issues to really get going. I like it now, however, and it is one of the few places that you can actually see John Stewart on a frequent basis.

Ironic, I like Thor too. Never been much of a Daredevil fan however. He's just a bit too moody for me.

And yes, that empty chair at the end of Nightwing is rather poignant.

*sniff*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home