Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Well, today was a Washout

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Well, today was a Washout

So...I showed up, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at my beloved Comical Book Store, only to be greeted by the SOUL-CRUSHING news, that the books have been delayed for a day. Curse you, UPS...wanting to have a holiday and spend time with your families!

On the other hand, I did get some Christmas shopping done, which is something, I suppose. As I was coming home, I need to make a left-hand turn at the intersection in the middle of town, and had to slam on my brakes, to avoid being hit by a car that went straight, even though I had the green arrow. At first, I was pissed, and then it occured to me...I had the Green Arrow! Ollie! Ollie is a traffic signal, and I had never noticed! Roy is a traffic signal too! So is Hal, if you really really stretch the idea of a Green Light with a Green Lantern.

All of which teaches me, that Comic book connections can be made all through the day, in the oddest of ways. And also perhaps, that I really ought to get a life.

9 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Green Lantern is actually an even *more* direct example of a traffic signal, albeit a slightly archaic one.

It's a railroad term, which probably explains Alan Scott's engineering background:

http://www.jeffpolston.com/lantern.htm

(And you could probably use this to analyze the "other-color" Lantern Corps too!)

I first discovered this while idly doing Lexis searches on superhero names in law school. Apparently "Green Lantern" was a fairly common name for bars and taverns frequented by railroad folk (and thus the name shows up in some old court cases as a site of various alcohol-related crimes and torts.)

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

I actually thought what you thought of after reading the words "Green Arrow" in your post...

I say we both need to join the Please Please Pleese Get a Life Foundation!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

OMG! You're such a geek, Sally :-P

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Baal said...

At least you didn't leave work a half an hour early, take an extra bus, find out the bad news, step on a kryptonian thorn that went right through your shoe, and take two more buses, one of which was late causing a nearly half hour wait at the bus stop.

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's done that. :-) I've made the occasional "Green Arrow" and "Speedy" references while Mr. Sea and I have driven around town. Mr. Sea, bless his heart, just rolls his eyes and says, "Yes, dear." ;-)

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I'm glad to know that it's not just me. I'm getting to the point that everytime I see someone named "Hal", I start to giggle.

Baal, it sounds as though you had a terrible day, for which I am sorry.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

Another reason I only pick up my books once a month

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Dwayne,you have a whole lot more willpower than I do. Which is why, come to think of it, that I'd make a lousy Green Lantern.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

I think I'd be worse of a Lantern than Guy Gardner ever was :s.

I'd be the most self-centered GL in the entire universe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home