Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Some Quick Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Some Quick Reviews

I have just enough time to sneak in a few reviews before it is back to the salt mines. Good GOD I'm getting tired of moving funiture...and that's something I thought that I would never say.

I DO have to say that this was a particularly good week for me.

Action Comics #871.........Like Caleb over at "Every Day is like Wednesday", I too was expecting to have Krypto in this issue, since he's right there, front and center on the cover. Alas, there WAS no Krypto. But Boy Howdy, some of those Kryptonians are real jerks! I love the way that poor Superman keeps smiling nervously whenever they do something outrageous, it's like dealing with your crazy relatives on a holiday or something. I have to admit, that I AM quite intrigued by that last page.

Booster Gold #14....That's not the cover that was originally solicited, but I don't care in the least, since there is Guy's ass prominently displayed right next to Booster's elbow. Booster continues to battle the Starro's and makes a desperate alliance with that lady Timekeeper, Time Jumper, Clock Master...whomever she may be. He also makes a promise that is pretty sure to come back and bite him in the butt one of these days. On the other hand, Rip manages to get saved, which I am sure is a huge relief. I LIKE Rip. Looks as though he's going to have to move or something though.

Fables #78....Well, it didn't take long for the proverbial poo to hit the proverbial fan, now did it? A decent issue mainly concerned with setting up the next big threat. It could have used more Bigby, but that's probably just me.

Green Arrow/Black Canary #14....Apparently this is Judd Winick's last issue? I find Winick to be perpetually frustrating, because he CAN write when he feels like it, but he doesn't often seem to feel like it. Connor is back, but he can't hit the broad side of a barn with an arrow, and Ollie doesn't know if he should be happy or sad about it. But it's all ok, because Connor apparently has some mad judo skills or something, although he is suffering from some rather serious memory problems. And Dinah and Ollie finally get laid, which is a long time coming. Oh snap!

Green Lantern Corps 30....As you all know, I'll give a more detailed review, but good GOD, those Guardians are getting dumber by the minute.

Manhunter #36....Another excellent issue. Kate's determination to stick to the hard truth and do the right thing, turns out to piss off an ENORMOUS amount of people. I loved the implications that Vesetech is responsible for a great deal of good as well as evil, and what are the people going to do that benefit from their less than savory business practices? I can't believe that they are going to cancel this book. It breaks my heart.

Nightwing #150....A lot less bloody than last issue, but a good one. Good grief, but Harvey is completely nuts. I have to admit that the coin thing off of the roof was inspired. Another book that I like that is going to be cancelled. I'm starting to feel as though I'm a jinx or something.

Kingdom Come Special: Superman....All painted and written by Alex Ross, as the Kingdom Come Superman indulges in a lot of angst. A LOT of angst. Pretty pictures however.

Trinity #24.....Bless your crazed little heart, you're there every week, and every week seems to get zanier. Despero hasn't been this much fun in a long time.

I also picked up Lone Ranger, which was beautiful as always, and a nice conclusion to the mystery of the killer. I also picked up the Amanda Conner-drawn Terra #1, which I missed last week for some reason. It was a lot better than I expected. I particularly liked the scene with Doctor Mid-Nite when he was examining her, and his discussion with Power Girl. The best part was his owl swooping over to investgate the mouse running on his little wheel. A Hoot!

9 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger FoldedSoup said...

No Krypto?!?

I'm following this arc specifically for the promised K-Dog smackdown!!

Bad DC! Bad, BAD! *smack!*

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Have you heard that Blue Beetle is finally being cancelled due to poor sales? There's a "20 Questions" session with DiDio over at Newsarama where he breaks the news. :-(

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

*sigh*

Yes, I heard about Blue Beetle. I can honestly say, that after getting the news about Robin, Nightwing, Birds of Prey and Manhunter that I was expecting something of the sort. But that doen't meant that I'm happy about it.

I read them all except Robin. At $2.99 each, that's roughly $12.00 a month, and $144.oo a year, that DC won't bet getting of my money.

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obviously, the Guardians never even opened Guy's thoughtful Christmas present of the six Star Wars movies on DVD....

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

You know, Sally -- you really SHOULD do a Lone Ranger review someday. :-)

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the Guardians get dumber by the minute. And, as we read flashbacks (such as Hal's recent origin), their dumbness gets projected into the past as well.

However - and correct me if I'm wrong - didn't we just get introduced to the post-Infinite Crisis Star Sapphires, like, a year ago in Green Lantern? And wasn't it revealed there that they (or, rather, females, inhabited by the Star Sapphire force) were seducing Green Lanters, KILLING THEM, then enveloping their planets in stasis?

I'll admit I thought this was stupid. First of all, the Guardians would be aware of all those slain GLs, and would worn the GLC of what was going on. Second of all, it was even more sexist - and in a more vicious way - than the Silver Age Sapphires, combining as it did evil female stereotypes of the Black Widow, Vagina Dentata, and the Smothering Mother.

But still, that's what we were told, and one would assume that it would lead into what we're seeing here. But these Star Sapphires, despite their physical appearance, do not seem to be the GL-killing Sapphires we saw only a little while ago. Has the post-InfC reintroduction already been retconned out? Well, that would be about par for the course, these days.

As for any stories from the last 20
years - the Guardians and the Zamarons leaving the universe to mate; the Zamarons becoming nursemaids for the Guardians after Kyle reincarnated them; and just about anything else - all these stories seem long gone. So what happened instead, during all those times?

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Yeah, there were some good ones. I'm a sucker for Amanda Conner's art, so I was glad Terra was so enjoyable. And I loved the Nightwing. This is the best Dick's been portrayed in ages. He's part of the DCU and the Bat family, yet still excels on his own. I'll really miss this book and Tomasi's take on him.

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Spectrum Rider, as with all things Green Lantern, it tends to get a little complicated. Those two issues of GL, did a bit of retcon on the Star Sapphires, although they weren't killing the Lanterns out of spite or anything, but to "save" them, and their planets. In his usual inimitable fasion, Hal planted a big wet one on one of the Zamarons, causing the Star Sapphire crystal to glom onto HER instead of Carol or Cowgirl, and the other Zamarons, once they realized how dangerous the crystal actually was, changed their tactics a bit.

The whole encasing Karu Sil and the others in cyrstal seems to be a new way to use the crystal.

I can't even tell you what the Guardians think about the Zamarons killing off some of their GL's, because the Guardians themselves seem to have such a lackadaisacal attitude sometimes.

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

I think I cried a bit when I heard about Blue Beetle. And make sure you let me know what you think about the Doctor Mid-Nite trade!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home