Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: I Still Miss Ted Kord

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I Still Miss Ted Kord

I'm feeling quite nostalgic. Possibly, because I was going through one of my boxes last night, and came across a big fat pile of Justice League Quarterly books. Gosh, these were fun. They were a chance for different artists and writers to come up with a story about the old JLI, that wasn't necessarily covered in the regular book. Sort of a precursor to Justice League Classified, I suppose. Every so often, DC comes up with anthology-style books that start out strong, and then seem to fizzle after a couple of years. I don't mind though, because I always enjoy them. Which reminds me, I'd KILL to have Green Lantern Corp Quarterly published again.

Anyhoo...I came across the story where Ted decides to go to his High School reunion, and, apparently terrified of his own company, manages to talk Booster, Fire and Ice going along with him. An interesting combination, because NONE of them attended High School, at least in the same manner as Ted did. His old classmates are all present, and happy as can be, just as middle-American as it is possible to be. They even show up in formal wear.

Blue Beetle

Incidentally, that's Ted. NOT Bruce Wayne. Doesn't he look gorgeous? That's the nice thing about a proper tux. You really can't screw it up. ALL men look tall dark and handsome while wearing a tuxedo. Booster has a white dinner jacket, which is also quite dashing. Tora looks nice of course, but as usual, Beatriz is pushing the envelope with a backless, and mostly frontless dress. Oh Bea.

Things are going nicely until the hotel where they are holding the Reunion is taken into space by some Aliens. Turns out that everyone in Marquette, Ill. is ACTUALLY an Alien, with the exception of Ted and his family. But that's ok, they don't hold it against him. They'd all run away from their home planet quite a few generations back, and they've quite happily assimilated as humans. Needless to say, Ted and Booster, Tora and Bea run into the bathrooms and put on their super suits, and do their best to fight the bad guys. Ted even has the wit to make a quick cellphone call for help.

Who does he call? Guy of course. He doesn't call Batman, or J'onn or Oberon. He calls Guy. Guy is naturally enough a bit skeptical at first, but once he gets it through his head that Ice is involved, he rustles up the cavalry and comes a'runnin'.

Ted manages to save the day through quick thinking, and they all defeat the nasty old aliens, and the NICE aliens are taken back to Earth,and everyone heads to the buffet. Ted's old buddies are quite eager to forget all about his secret identity, if he does the same for them. A little quid pro quo as it where. It is kind of a silly story, but a fun one nevertheless, and the artwork by Edward Barreto is excellent.

And gosh darn it, he draws an AWFULLY pretty Ted.

6 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Eduardo Barreto drew a very pretty Hal Jordan, too. :-) I don't think Hal has ever worn a tux in his life, though. No, wait ... He probably DID wear one to Tom Kalmaku's wedding -- but readers didn't get to see it. Bah. :-(

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Patrick C said...

I only have one issue of Justice League Quarterly, and that's it! That really was a fun issue.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Duskdog said...

I love Justice League Quarterly. It's the title that gave us this story, and the one where Guy, Tora, Bea, and Oberon double-date at the street fair, and the one where Tora uses Guy's GL ring to heal, and the one where Tora has a stalker. There are tons more, but those are my favorites.

I always thought it was funny that Ted wasn't content just to bring a date, or a friend, or a friend-who's-a-date (coughBoostercough). He was insecure enough to bring a whole entourage!

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Three is a lot of people to drag along to an High School reunion, but Ted DOES have his insecure side. And it DID all work out in the end.

I love those old Quarterly issues, they were a ton of fun.

Sea, believe it or not, Hal DOES get dressed up in those really early issues, when he's swanking around at family reunions at this rich uncle's house. He at least wears a dinner jacket, anyway. Hard to believe, but there was a time when Hal was sort of...suave.

But Eduardo Barreto is a very good artist, and I'd like to see more of him.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Nick said...

Only issue I got of GL Quarterly was the one with my boy Jack T. Chance when he had to face off against Lobo.
The issue was soo damn weird I still remember it. *sigh* Damn it, now you've made me all nostalgic.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

It's no wonder that was my all-time favorite Justice League.

I wonder what was so wrong about having a super-hero book and having a good laughing while at it. I do love big drama. I actually love them both, but it's so hard to find some fun stuff these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home