Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Oh for Heaven's Sake!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Oh for Heaven's Sake!

I am not having a good day. My sinuses are clogged, and there is an annoying tickle in my throat. These are not good signs. Furthermore, when I got up this morning, I managed to put my shirt on INSIDE OUT, and didn't notice it for several hours. Nobody ELSE noticed it either, or else they were too polite to mention it. This is shaping up to be One Of Those Days.

So naturally, I started to think about Ralph and Sue Dibny.

Seriously, that has to be the most awkward segue ever. But I can't help but miss old Ralph. I know that apparently they are "back" in ghost form, having shown up most recently in some issues of the Outsiders, taking posession of various characters bodies, and having their way with them. But it still isn't the same. I was putting some of my books away last night, and stumbled across a number of old Justice League International books, with their depiction of Ralph and Sue, Wally, Peej, Peej's cat, and Captain Atom. And they were a hoot. Not quite as much fun as the regular Justice League, but they certainly had their charms. You can't really say that many current books fall into the "charming" category.

JLI

Heh. It...it's just so CUTE! And it makes fun of Batman, which is always a bonus in my book.

Also...

JLI

The looks of horror and disgust on Ted and Wally's face is just perfect. You have to admit that if I saw a man doing that with his nose, I'd be grossed out as well. But somehow, Ralph managed to carry it off. There are also not too many men who can wear purple.

I guess I miss Ralph and Sue the most, as the Nick and Nora Charles of the DC Universe. I've actually watched a number of those old black and white movies (my sister has a ton of them) and they are just so...charming. There's that word again. Ralph and Sue had STYLE. They also seemed to have an awful lot of fun being married to one another, which was rather unnusual in the normal state of affairs in a comicbook universe. So naturally, they're dead. Horribly.

*sigh*

I wonder if they are going to show up in the Darkest Night story? That could be interesting. Whatever happens, I just hope that they aren't forgotten, and that they, along with Ted, J'onn, Dmitri and Max manage to make their triumphant return. They can even use magic to explain it, I won't mind.

4 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Ha! I never thought of that before: Ralph as "The Thin Man" of the DCU. :-) It WORKS. Even without all the booze and without Asta, it WORKS.

Geez, Sally, I hope you aren't the next victim of the "Blogger Flu" that's been going around. It keeps claiming more and more victims! It took me three days to shake it off. :-(

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger googum said...

Feel better, Sally!

I think early on in those JLE's, even Sue admits the charm of the nose thing has worn off...

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

An awful lot of people do seem to be getting sick. I DO hope that you are feeling better.

Ralph of course, persists in thinking that the "nose thing" is utterly charming. I think that Sue just sighs and rolls her eyes.

But yes, I think that Ralph could be the Thin Man. Sue was an heiress after all, and the two of them always seemed to just enjoy the heck out of their lives.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Will Staples said...

Egads, the nose thing I get, but how the heck does he do that thing with his hair?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home