Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: A rather Interesting week in Comics

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, August 07, 2008

A rather Interesting week in Comics

Well...that was an interesting if slightly puzzling week.

Final Crises #3......Holy Crap! This seems to be generating a lot of heat, between the people who loved it, and the people who hated it. Put me in the category of loving it, I still can't believe that despite all the warnings, Grant Morrison actually went ahead and DID it! Bad bad things are happening, and Morrison has rather cleverly cleared the table of most of the heavy hitters. Batman is kidnapped, Martian Manhunter is dead, Superman is moaning over Lois, and Hal has been framed for the attack on John Stewart. Wonder Woman is in deep deep doodoo.

And Alan Scott of all people, is the one holding things together, or at least trying to. He's assembled a motley crew of heroes, and it's going to get very very interesting from here on out.

Oh, and poor Mike, the Human Flame! I first gained appreciation for poor old Mike, over at the Absorbacon, due to Scipio's lovingly recounted tales of his origin. Mike is soooooo screwed. The Rogues were right, Libra is NOT somebody that you want to hang out with...as Lex Luthor is about to discover. On the other hand, considering that this IS Lex, I can only assume that Libra is going to be in for an upleasant surprise shortly.

The only thing that threw me, was the information that the next issue won't be out for two months, and in the meantime there will be a number of related one-shots, which is a...novel way of presenting a mini-series.

Hawkman Special.....What the hell? Not being a huge Hawkman fan, I have to say that I didn't understand a whole lot of this. I know that over the years that Hawkman has had a...rather convoluted past, but I can't say that this cleared that up. In fact, now I'm MORE confused. Although I had to snicker at the end, when the other Rannian soldier comes back from his patrol to find the Rannian soldier who got blowed up, and Hawkman just standing there saying..."oops" or words to that effect.

This was just on the weird side for me. Your mileage may vary.

Jack of Fables #24.....Woohoo! Bigby beats the crap out of Jack! Not that this was much of a surprise, but still, I was waiting for it, and it all worked out so nicely. Oh and Babe the little blue Ox shows up at the end for his obligatory daydream, which is always nice.

Jonah Hex #34.....I rather liked this one. Pretty artwork, and a very sad story...but a GOOD story! It doesn't go quite the way that you think it is either. Normally a pretty blonde showing up on the hero's doorstep means that he's going to help her out. Jonah doesn't help her at ALL, and he's basically pretty much of a jerk throughout the whole thing. Actually that makes it better in a weird sort of way. Good stuff.

Manhunter #33.....Ah, the plot thickens. It's full of flashbacks and stuff, and Ramsey's dog is a little on the odd side. Kate is in a bit over her head, but fortunately Oracle is there to lend her a helping hand...whether she wants it or not. Oh, and the Suicide Squad shows up, which is a delightful surprise. Boomer looks very dashing.

Nightwing #147....Two-Face needs some help from Nightwing, and after a lot of blustering, Nightwing agrees to help. There is corruption, fake FBI agents, or their equivalent, Two-Face being noble, and Dick showing off his assets. It's lots of fun. I never thought I'd like a Nightwing comic, but ever since Tomasi took over, I've been enjoying the heck out of it.

Trinity #10......Well, things seem to be picking up here! I'm starting to get into the groove of this book, which seems to be improving with each issue. The JLA is here, and they go out and do stuff, and Superman is cranky, and Batman is helpful, and Tim and Dick get to fight a girl gorilla in a bustier. Fun!

4 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

The reviews on Final Crisis are SO MIXED ...! I generally trust your judgement, Sally, but I've been way too chicken to pick up the latest issue, especially with the "one month hiatus" thing going on. I'm tempted to just keep Final Crisis on my "wait for the trade" list. :-( 'Cept the Red Lantern stuff. Definitely wanna see that when it comes out.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I liked Final Crisis, too, and they'd said there would be a break after the first few, so I was prepared.

As for Trinity, you mentioned my favorite part! :)

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Final Crises is definitely NOT your average story. Morrison has his own way of dealing out the information, in drips and drabs, and it is up to the reader to put it all together, so there is a bit of work involved. There is also a LOT going on.

The payoff however, is when you make the connection, however obscure to a panel that showed up before...and suddenly it all makes sense!

It also reminds me of 52 in a way, because he's cleared the decks of all the major hitters, this is going to be the second tier of heroes, and I LOVE second tier heroes.

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Shelly, was it the babe gorilla? I thought she was hilarious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home