Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: My Favorite Covers of 2007

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, December 31, 2007

My Favorite Covers of 2007

Well here we are, at the end of the year, and I must admit that I always succumb to nostalgia. It was certainly an INTERESTING year for comics! We had the death of Captain America and the death of Ralph Dibney. 52 ended on a bang, and Countdown began with a whimper. There was the very very very good (Green Lanterns and the Sinestro Corps War) and the gawdawful (Civil War and One more Day) We had the return of Thor, and the end of Nextwave, the return of the Brave and the Bold, and the beginning of Booster Gold.

Wally is back, but Bart is dead (mostly) For some reason they thought it would be a good idea to kill off the New Gods, and Batman is back to being a dick most of the time. On the other hand, Blue Beetle just keeps getting better and better. Now if they would only bring back Manhunter. Wonder Woman was terrible, and then they put Gail Simone on it, and voila! Fabulous!

Green Arrow and Black Canary sort of got married, and killed and kidnapped and rescued, and now Conner has been shot by an angry cloud. Amazons attacked and made one hell of a mess. Tony Stark has been an even bigger dick than Batman. Spider-man just makes me sad. The lengths that Joe Quesada went to get his own way, are astounding. I'm pretty sure that he went in front of everyone and threatened to hold his breath and stomped his feet if he couldn't get rid of MJ. He made Mr. Didio look like a monument of good taste and decorum by comparison.

Wizard went and made an ass of itself, to mostly nobody's surprise. I got a lot of really cool action figures. Dr. Thirteen came out and blew everyone away with its utter awesomeness. Guy Gardner remains my favorite Green Lantern, while Snapper Carr still makes me quiver with loathing.

And now, in no particular order, I have some of my favorite covers from the past year.

Batman

Ooohh! Isn't THAT moody? Beautiful work by Bianchi. Even if it IS Batman being all broody and pretending to be Heathcliffe. (From Wuthering Heights, you idiots, not the bloody cat!)

silly


Heh heh. This one just cracks me up. The fact that they used the Bizarro Hal in the Sinestro Corps War just makes it even better.

Photobucket

You have to admit that with all the chaos going on, Ryan Sook does an awfully pretty job on Ollie and Dinah. DESPITE Judd Winick.


Booster Gold

I just love this. All the cards, with their reference to "52", plus it's Booster! Nice art and composition.


Booster Gold

I really enjoyed "52" and this was a hell of a way to wrap it all up. With a wrap-around cover!


Hal Pictures

Really, how could any red-blooded Green Lantern fan NOT go nuts for this cover! Gorgeous, and a lovely homage.


Booster Gold

Again, this one just cracks me up. Who knew that Booster Gold and Jonah Hex would make such a dynamic duo?


Photobucket

One of the best books of 2007, and gosh, but I love John McCrea art.

Blue Beetle


So far, my favorite Blue Beetle cover, bar none. Lovely composition AND hilarious.

Superman


THIS...this is genius.

And finally, my personal favorite...

Guy pictures

I LOVE this cover. It is stark, and makes gorgeous use of white, the layout is just bloody perfect, and it is scary as heck. Pat Gleason knocks it out of the park with this one.

Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home