Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Gosharootie

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Gosharootie

Good Heavens, it's almost Wednesday again, and I'm STILL gushing about the books that I got last week. It's been an awfully good month so far, I must say. In fact, with the exception of a few minor glitches, it has been an awfully good time to be a comic book fan.

For one thing, we had the heady conclusion to the Sinestro Corp War that has been raging since this past summer...and boy howdy, was it a doozy! I've covered all of that already however. In addition, we have also had some other very good books out there.

Booster Gold #5 was great. Not as humorous as the previous episodes, but a heck of an issue. I honestly didn't know how it was all going to end for Barbara Gordon, aka Batgirl, aka Oracle, so this all caught me by surprise. Booster had a lesson to learn apparently, there are just some things that can't be changed. Not that I think Booster really believes this for a second. It was nice to see Booster trying and trying and trying again and again to save Babs, and never giving up. Booster has his silly moments, but by God, he's a hero. Good stuff.

I greatly enjoyed Wonder Woman. I love the new subplot of Hippolyta's former guards, and beating up Nazis just NEVER gets old. And the art was gorgeous. I now look FORWARD to getting this, instead of with trepidation.

Green Arrow/Black Canary, fills me with simultaneous glee and rage. Absolutely breathtaking art, fun and witty, and then...BAM! Another superhero death on the last pages. Seriously, this is getting OLD! Even if Conner isn't dead, it is getting old. Didn't Winnick JUST DO THIS SAME PLOT in the Wedding Special?
I am having a little trouble getting my head around the fact that there are apparently TWO Themysciras, one in the Wonder Woman book and the one here, with Granny Goodness diguised as Athena. When is somebody (presumably Batman) going to notice this odd state of events?

Fables was great, if heartbreaking. Fables is ALWAYS great.

I blush to admit this, but I am actually enjoying the whole Black Adam mini-series. The story is pretty good, and the art is gorgeous. It gets a bit gory, but what the heck. It IS Black Adam after all.

I liked Bat Lash. I am a Western fan from way back. And how can you go wrong with Sergio Aragones and John Severin? I do feel that Bat's girlfriend is probably not long for this world however. *sigh*

JLA Classified, was a nice romp back in the Silver Age. Ollie looks pretty darned good without the beard, and of course he is hitting on the girl. Hal's just jealous he didn't get there first. Wonder Woman uses that old idea about her bracelets keeping her wild side in check, Hawkman and Atom were just adorable. Besides, I just like Qward for some reason.

Heck, I'm even enjoying Arena. It's not Shakespeare, but it is old fashioned fun in a way. And look, TWO versions of Hal! And the whole thing with the Blue Beetles was genuinely disturbing.

I like my books. If I find that I'm not enjoying them, I don't buy them. It's hard sometimes giving up on something, but it is silly to have to force myself to read something that I'm NOT enjoying. I wish that some of the other, more professional reviewers could sometimes take this to heart. It's rather depressing reading review after review by someone who doesn't enjoy their books. What's the point? Which isn't to say that sometimes I'm not completely thrilled. I enjoy a well-written rant as much as anybody else.

However, when somebody puts down a book because a character's boots are the wrong color or something, I think that it is being over-analyzed. Comics are good, and silly and ridiculous, and overwrought and just plain nonsensical sometimes, and occasionally pretty awful...but that's half the fun. Sometimes a truely horrible comic can be even MORE fun.

Enjoy your books.

3 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who picked up JLA Classified. :-) Good ol' Silver Age nuttiness -- with a twist, of course. The stuff with Hal and Ollie just cracked me up ("Way to go, Ollie!" [Clap! Clap! Clap!]). Gawd, how I love those two together.

Yeah, Conner's been shot yet again, and may actually be dead this time. At least he didn't get shot in the head again. :-\

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger FoldedSoup said...

"Sometimes a truely horrible comic can be even MORE fun."

You're Goddamn right.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Looking back at my post, I started out all happy, and then got dreary and cranky, for which I apologize.

Sea, Hal and Ollie ALWAYS make me happy. And Conner better NOT be dead, because this is starting to get annoying.

Soup, a completely terrible horrible comic, can be SUCH a treasure. I personally enjoy looking at Liefeld books...just so that I can laugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home