Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Manhunter #29...Waaahhhh!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, March 09, 2007

Manhunter #29...Waaahhhh!

Ok, Manhunter's not being cancelled...and that's a good thing. But...but it WASN'T really Blue Beetle either. Of course, deep in my heart of hearts I knew this, and yet...I really really miss Ted Kord.

It turned out to be that creepy Everyman guy, from 52. On the other hand, I thought they settled his hash a couple of weeks ago, when Steel put a serious whuppin' on Lex Luthor. So he gets knocked off the building by Kate, and maybe THIS time, he's really dead. But I wouldn't count on it.

Nevertheless, I do wish they'd bring Beetle back. Booster Gold is probably lonely. Actually, I'm just hoping that Booster makes it through 52 as well, since they killed off poor Ralph. This decimation of the old JLI really has to stop. Who the heck is left? Guy Gardner of course,although I think that he's fairly safe on Oa for the moment. Besides, they killed him off once before and it didn't take. If I were Fire, I'd be worried, she's in Checkmate, but seems to be a bit out of control at the moment, not to mention being blackmailed by Amanda Waller. J'onn J'onnz is still wandering around, so is Black Canary, and I think that Mr. Miracle is lurking somewhere. Barda seems to be safe over in Birds of Prey.

But it is getting bad when you look at a page of heroes from JLI, and more of them are now dead than alive. What is the point of creating wonderful characters, only to kill them off? Stop killing them off! The rapes and decapitations can also be put in mothballs. I know, how about coming up with some interesting stories instead?

Sorry for what turned out to be a rant, but I'm REALLY crabby today.

4 Comments:

At 11:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

AMEN!

I understand that death is a part of life, even fictional life. But so much of the deaths in recent years seem cynical and market driven.

I've started a list of the fallen, that I'm hoping I can get other people to send entries for. I am hoping that maybe if we can speak up and be heroes for our heroes, that maybe the so called big two, will realize that these characters are not just icons and archetypes, nor are they merely metaphors or merchandising deals. They are the embodiment of the things that are good that we see, or would like to see within ourselves.

Peace
And
Long
Life

Toriach
(Where's the love? It's at Geek Love.)

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger Marc Burkhardt said...

Death sells, so the Big Two will keep killing off and resurrecting/replacing characters.

Sadly, Cap's "demise" only serves to illustrate this fact.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

But WHY does death sell? Especially now? I can understand it way back in the Silver Age, when they killed off Ferro Boy, because it was just so darned unexpected. Same for Jean Grey. But seriously, nowadays? It's become a joke...we all seem to recognize that death is just an inconvenience, and the gratuitous slaughter of B and C level heroes and villains has become a cliche.

So...can the writers actually challenge themselves and come up with something NEW? Like treating old characters with a tiny modicum of respect and dignity?

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Marc Burkhardt said...

Wish I had an answer for you.

In the meantime, I'll keep reading Essential Ant-Man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home