Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Slightly Delayed Reveiws

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Saturday, December 05, 2015

Slightly Delayed Reveiws

Sorry it took so long. I know that you all plan your weeks around my reviews.

Or not.

Anyway...


Gotham Academy #12

You know, I do like this book, it is offbeat and a little quirky and I love the art, but I have to admit that I think that all of Olive's cohorts are actually more interesting than she is.  She is rather...passive. She sits back and lets things happen to her, most of the time. I like Maps!  She goes out and gets things done! 

But all the kids go off to find Kyle who was somehow kidnapped in a really bitchin' car, and end up at Arkham, because of course they would.  They really ought to do something about the security there, if a bunch of high school kids can break in.  The "Calamity" plot is still going on, and I'm still mostly fuzzy about it because in-between issues, which can be a while, I forget what has happened before. 

So...stuff happens I guess.  It's not bad, and I'll still probably be getting it, but it seems to be in a little bit of a rut at the moment.


Daredevil #1

Woohoo!  I absolutely loved loved loved Mark Waid and Chris Samnee's former work, but this is pretty good too. We have Charles Soule, who is an excellent writer, and Ron Garney, who is an excellent artists.  Matt is back in New York working as a Prosecutor instead of a Defense Attorney.  He's back to having a secret identity and a new darker costume, and now he has something of a sidekick named Blindspot, who can be invisible and all ninja-ish. 

Foggy is back too, but he and Matt seem to be on the outs. No sign of Kirsten, which makes me sad.  But although the status quo seems to have been re-established, at least Soule didn't throw all of Waid's brilliant work out the window.  Matt is driven and a little darker, but he's still Matt.

He also gets to fight ninjas, and the new villain is a gang working for Tenfingers, a baddie, who is pretty darned creepy.  It's fast-paced, and fun and darned good.


Doctor Strange #3

Damn, I am loving this book.  Having Dr. Strange as a bit of a wise-ass is fun, and having Wong actually have a personality is also fun.  Really really weird stuff is going on all around all the time apparently, we just don't see it...thank God!  But Doctor Strange sees it, and he's actually getting a little worried, since the influx of Magical beings who shouldn't even be here, is increasing. Something is driving them out of their home worlds.  The art by Chris Bachalo is mind-boggling, and perfect for this kind of book. 

Something...someone is trying to wipe out all the Sorcerer's Supreme, and Stephen is finally beginning to realize just how big a mess he is in. 

Really really fabulous.

Howard the Duck #2

I never thought that a Howard the Duck book would make me practically tear up, but this one does.  Genetic samples were taken from Rocket and Howard, and grown into female clones.  A lowly stooge of the Collector, is assigned to take care of them, and against his will, he ends up caring FOR them, and protects and raises them, even going so far as to jump into the past to try and save them.  He ends up getting killed as they near the present, and...and...I've got something in my eye!

This is a whole lot of fun.  And slightly wistful.

The Totally Awesome Hulk #l

And speaking of a whole lot of fun!  I'm not completely certain how, but Amadeus Cho is now the Hulk.  I don't know what happened to Banner, but he's Hulking out, assisted by his sister Maddie. He's also a bit of a wise-ass nineteen year old kid, who can't resist flirting while he's out saving. 

The art is by  Frank Cho, whom I adore, so I am a happy happy clam. 

Good silly fun.  So much fun.


Invincible Iron Man#4

I've never been a huge Iron Man fan, but dang I am enjoying the heck out of this.  Tony Stark will always be something of a jerk, that's just his personality, but at least he's not evil anymore.  He's still chasing Madame Masque and trying to figure out just what she is up to. Doctor Doom keeps popping up and is all handsome again, not to mention helpful.  He also gets to fight armored ninjas.  That's always fun.

He also ends up going to St. Jude's to cheer up some sick kids, which is nice.  There is a miniature Tony, in a smart ass kid, and he ends up bringing ALL of his suits, which makes the kids just giddy with delight.

I couldn't figure out why Maryjane was on the cover, but she does show up at the end,where she is opening the newest swingingest new club in New York, called Jackpot...which is promptly attacked by Madame Masque...because of course it would be. 

Good art, good story, what's not to like? 

Oh, Marvel, you are just killing it lately, and in a good way. 

3 Comments:

At 8:21 AM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Only one comic in common, but I did enjoy Gotham Academy. Based on the ending, Olive might not be so passive, anymore. ;)

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I still have to catch up with Gotham Academy but yeah Bendis is using Mary Jane for awhile in Iron Man.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

It would be nice if Olive can actually DO something. Still... it is a good book.

I like Mary Jane, and I like this version of Tony.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home