Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: It's New Year's Eve

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, December 31, 2015

It's New Year's Eve

Of course you all know that already.  But it puts me into a rather nostalgic frame of mind.  And I can always do reviews tomorrow.  I'll probably stay up until 10:00 tonight, because I don't really do wild partying, and I start to nod off when the news comes on. 

We live a wild and crazy existence.

So...it has been...an interesting year, to say the least for Comics.  There has been some amazingly good stuff.  There has been some seriously terrible stuff.  I have more or less, and so gradually, that I almost didn't notice, changed my pull lists, from mostly DC and a little Marvel, to mostly Marvel and a little DC.  I blame the giant mega-Crossovers for that, quite frankly. 

It...was not a good year for DC.  They had that incredibly dull and pretty much meaningless big crossover, way back when, and it was so horrible and boring, that the name of it escapes me at the moment, and I don't even want to go back and look it up.  It had Ted and Booster in it for a few seconds, which was the highlight for me, and Guy Gardner being badass.  That was it.

As you all know, I am a Green Lantern fan.  I LOVE Green Lanterns.  But...not so much lately.  They killed off Kyle, except that they didn't, and I don't even care.  They gave Hal his own book, he grew his hair and became Space Gambit in a trench coat, and I don't care.  They took the rest of the Green Lantern Corps, and killed everybody off, or exiled them into a previous Universe, and I cared a little bit, because it wasn't terrible, actually, and the art was pretty, but it had Relic, and I find Relic to be a drag.  Also, John was angsting too much. 

Red Lanterns ended, which broke my heart in more ways than one, because it was really really good.  And all the good writers jumped to Marvel.  The good version of Wonder Woman ended, and the new version just reeks. I don't even care about the Justice League anymore, and Darkseid "died", which I completely believe, and Batman, which was good, is now not so good, because Jim Gordon is running around in a giant metal Moth suit.  Batgirl started out really great,and has slacked off a bit, same for Damian, and this whole Robin War crossover that they have going on at the moment is pretty terrible. 

On the other hand, the Sandman story by Neil Gaiman was just spectacular.  The new Lucifer book is pretty good so far, and Fables was good as always.  Gotham Academy is decent, although I still have trouble keeping track of who is who.  Aquaman crashed and burned. 

And then there is Marvel. Marvel really burned its bridges with me, after the debacle with Civil War, which is why I can't understand why it is being touted as being this fabulous story, and being used in the movies, because I hated...HATED it.  But Marvel has been bringing out all kinds of slightly off-beat, quirky and FUN books, and God, I do love a little bit of light-heartedness after all the decapitations and maimings, and darkness out there at DC.  There is Ms. Marvel, which is a delight, and Squirrel Girl, and Howard the Duck, and Hellcat, and the sadly gone She-Hulk, which I loved.  Craploads of Avengers books, which I suppose is only to be expected. T

The new Iron Man book has me actually liking Tony again.  The Loki: Agent of Asgard book was simply a delight, and possibly my favorite book of the year.  The new Thor book has also been pretty damned good.  It seems as though Marvel has been pretty fearless this year, and that can only be a good thing.

And then there is Saga, which I adore, and I discovered Atomic Robo, and Action Philosophers, and the new Archie book, which stunned me, by how good it was.  It's good to venture out from the shelter of the big two once in a while, although my heart still does belong to Superheroes...but there is a whole lot of fun out there across from the aisles. 

I'm not so happy about the ridiculous price increases, but what can you do?  I'm still hooked on comics, even though I'm now a grandmother. A young grandmother to be sure, but still.  I also got a 12" Thor from Hot Toys or whatever, to go with my Loki figure, and now they keep each other company.  Absolutely gorgeous incidentally. 

Stan Lee just turned 92, and thank goodness is still with us.  There are more Marvel Movies on the horizon, and even DC movies on the horizon. I have very little interest in Superman or Batman, but Wonder Woman looks fabulous.  And the new Captain America movie looks intriguing.  So there is hope for the future as well.

Comics seem to be hanging in there. 

And that's a good thing.

3 Comments:

At 7:58 AM, Blogger ShellyS said...

The nonsense at DC inspired me to try other companies, like Marvel and Image, and even smaller ones, and my reading is more diverse and interesting. And I'm reading books that aren't part of endless crossovers. It's refreshing!

Happy New Year!

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

There have been a lot of stinkers which made me appreciate the good titles all the more. Have a happy New Year and may all your books be entertaining and good.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

And a happy New Year to you all! we can only hope that eventually things will improve and we always have our back issues, after all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home