Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Dear DC

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Dear DC

I just finished watching Green Lantern and Young Justice on television, on this beautiful Saturday morning.  I like Green Lantern and I'm actually starting to like Young Justice a lot more.  It had Captain Shinypants on it, and  they actually mentioned Guy!  Didn't show him, but they mentioned him. 

But what really caught my eye was one of the shorts that played during the commercials, wherein they pondered the true meaning of "Super Friends".  It had all my favorite lesser characters, who pointed out that Batman won't take them to the airport, or feed their fish, and what is the real meaning of friendship, if Superman won't lend you a couple of bucks?

I laughed of course.  And then, I choked up a little bit, because they showed Ted Kord, and Booster Gold, and Plastic Man, and ALL of the Flashes, and Hawkman and Hal and Kyle. Kyle!  And Ralph Dibny and a ton of other characters, ALL of whom I miss terribly.  And it hit me. 

WHY CAN'T I READ ABOUT THEM ANYMORE?

DC, you have a huge stable of fabulous characters, that you aren't even using.  You have either "shelved" them, or killed them off for no good reason other than for a brief moment of shock.  Actually, killing people off is no longer a shock.  It is a shock if you manage NOT to kill somebody for a change! 

You created these characters, told stories about them, and made us care about them.  So why do you chose to slap me in the face, by disposing of them?  Yes, I know they aren't "real".  But you can say that about any literary creation.  But that doesn't change the fact that people remain fans.  You are raining on my parade and I am getting quite annoyed.  I've mentioned this a few times in the past, but nobody seems to be listening.

I understand that I as a middle-aged woman am NOT your target audience.  I admit that I deserted you for a few years while I was spawning, but I DID come back, and not only did I come back, but I spent a crapload of money buying all those back issues.  For that matter, I spend a crapload of money on your products every single goddamned week.  It's starting to add up. 

I am not a 20 year old male.  I'm better.  I've probably got  a LOT more money than a 20 year old male, who is blowing through his college loans, that he'll never be able to pay off.  I'm solvent.   I have disposable income, and I am more than happy to throw those dollars at your company.  I not only buy comic books, I buy action figures. I buy Wonder Woman Barbies.  I buy T shirts.  I blog about you and give you free publicity.  I tell everyone at work about how fabulous you are, and then they go out and attend your movies.

And lately, it feels as though I am giving a whole lot more than I am getting.

I want my continuity back.  I have been mostly satisfied with the recent reboot, some of the books have been excellent.  But that doesn't mean that I want to give up decades of continuity.  I spent a LOT of time and effort learning that continuity.  I ENJOY that continuity.  And most of all, I enjoy so many of those characters that you have seen fit to sideline for no good reason. 

Those kids that you are trying to reach on the Saturday morning cartoons?  The loved the Brave & the Bold.  They like the shorts.  They want to read about those characters too.  You NEED those kids.  And frankly, you need us old farts too.  We are the ones who love all that Silver Age stuff.  The average 20 year old male, only seems to want to see carnage and boobs.  I am referring of course to the average 20 year old male...not the intelligent and handsome ones that read my blog. 

So...I am asking you nicely.  Please bring back the REAL DC Universe.  Bring back Ted Kord, and Ralph and Sue, and either of the Rocket Reds, and G'nort, and Hawkgirl, and Peej and the Justice Society.  Bring back the original Doctor Polaris and Carface and the Secret Six, and Hippolyta and all of the Amazons, and Wally and Linda and their kids, and Bart, and Cass and Stephanie, and Oracle and Zinda, and LOIS LANE for God's sake!

Does everything have to be so bloody and dark all of the time?  It's comics, there is fighting.  I understand that.  I love a good kick to the face.  But I want to see characterization too.  And a PLOT once in a while.  Good villains, and a good story and good art...is that too much to ask for?  And stop breaking up marriages and romances!  Sheesh!

Well, I've said what is on my mind, and I don't imagine it will have much effect.  But still...since I am still sending a goodly amount of money your way every week, every month, every year...it would be nice to feel that I'm getting some return other than a kick in the teeth.  Once in a while.


11 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Well put!

I'd like the real Roy back, and Lian. As long as you're asking. :)

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Pete said...

Well put indeed! That was my first thought watching that short--why is it the only time I get to see Ralph Dibny since the end of 52, it's when Superman is punching him in the face for a sight gag?

Sigh.

Young Justice is blowing my mind with how complex the unfolding story is getting. It's pretty much my de facto DCU right now. And the use of the entire Bat-family as an infiltration team! How is it that hasn't been done as effectively in comics before now?

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Jeff McGinley said...

Really well thought out, and laid out. I was thinking this morning how the Young Justice world would have been a much better reboot than the new 52.

I've been collecting some DC or another continuously since I was a teenager...right through last August. All those years as an adult reading comics "for kids" and I was fine. Now at age 42 the new 18-35 target age has made me too old for their comics.

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I am not a 20 year old male. I'm better. I've probably got a LOT more money than a 20 year old male, who is blowing through his college loans, that he'll never be able to pay off. I'm solvent. I have disposable income, and I am more than happy to throw those dollars at your company.

I'm in the same boat, Sally (okay, I'm male but I'm 42) but the sobering fact is that while DC are happy to take our money, they're not paying attention to us on the whole. Their new 18-35 market will (they hope) sustain them for another 20 or 30 years before there's another relaunch/reboot brought about by the readers of today who will then be in positions of power within DC which is what's happened over the last few years with Geoff Johns et al.

At that point, they'll bring back the characters they loved reading about - we'll have Kyle, Conner Hawke, Wally and all the others back... and we'll be older and happier but still not their target audience.

I really do feel much the same as you (I'd love to have Ralph and Sue back) but from DC's perspective, I think we're becoming the grumpy old people in the corner complaining how it's not like the old days while DC are off trying to impress the new kids with their iPads and what-nots.

Realistically, I guess we take our pleasure where we find it, enjoy what we can about the new DC and celebrate the little victories like getting Power Girl back.

:)

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I still love my comics...but I don't love them quite as much as I used to...and I WANT to.

Yes, it's nice to have Power Girl back. But why did we ever lose her at all?

And I love Wally and Kyle and Conner. I don't mind DC being a huge sprawling universe, and they don't have to use every single character every single month. But once in a while wouldn't hurt. You can keep characters around, without killing them off.

If Max and Ted and Ralph were to just walk in the door of the Justice Hall and say they've been on Kooey Kooey Kooey for a while, that is all the explanation that I would need.

 
At 9:38 PM, Anonymous boosterrific said...

Hear, hear!

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Bob Buethe said...

I felt this way after Crisis On Infinite Earths, but I kept buying DC comics. After Zero Hour, I felt it even more strongly, and cut back more than 50%. Now, after the New 52, there are only three titles I'm interested in reading (GL, Dial H, and The Unwritten) and one of them is Vertigo.

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

What? Kyle isn't around? Why the feck not?

Argh.

I'm reading old Titans books at the moment, Damn, I miss Lian.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well Kyle is actually around, but he's running around with that New Guardians bunch instead of pairing up with Guy, as God intended.

But I miss Lian too. And the REAL Roy.

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Imitorar said...

"I've probably got a LOT more money than a 20 year old male, who is blowing through his college loans, that he'll never be able to pay off."

As a 20 year old male, yes. This is completely true.

That said, I've kept up with comics online, seeing if anything is worth buying in trade. And with a very few exceptions that would all have fit perfectly with pre-Flashpoint continuity, nothing is. The losses of the reboot aren't worth the gains, and I miss the old DCU so much it hurts.

All this despite that I actually AM in DC's target demographic. The DC of two years ago appealed to me much more than the DC of today.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger tshirtsbazaar said...

Buy Online Men T Shirts Sell online in India.Huge selection of T Shirts at tshirtsbazaar.com Choose from wide range of Adidas tshirts to buy online. All India FREE Shipping. Cash on Delivery available.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home