Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Damn

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, March 02, 2012

Damn

Man, Davy Jones of the Monkees died the other day. I remember watching their show on Saturday mornings back when I was a wee tot. Years later, I was crushed to learn that at least in the beginning, they did not play their own instruments or write their own songs. At the time I was completely convinced that yes, they lived in that groovy pad, and had all those wacky adventures. My sisters and I practiced our "Monkee Walk".

And I still don't care that it was a show devised to cash in on Beatlemania, because it was fun, and innocent and had some really really great music. We were talking about it at work yesterday, and what really destroyed me, was that most of the people didn't even know who Davy Jones or the Monkees even were! Nor for that matter, Paul Revere and the Raiders, the Lovin' Spoonful, or the Mamas and the Papas, not to mention the Association, Herman's Hermits and Jerry and the Pacemakers.

Gah!

I get it, I'm old. But while I am familiar with the names of N'Synch, the Backstreet Boys, and Justin Bieber, I'll be damned if I can recall the name of any actual song that they performed.

But moving onto other things. Remember when Hal got Parallaxed and tried to remake the world, and everyone thought he was evil and stuff? And Kyle was the only Green Lantern left, and Guy had his bar?

warriors

It didn't matter that Hal took his yellow ring and his eye and beat him up. It didn't matter that Hal had taken his Green ring and beaten him up. Guy still stood by Hal, and for that matter so did the rest of the erstwhile Lanterns. And Batman could just suck on it.

4 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Blogger Jeff McGinley said...

Look at the bright side, 20 years from now, no one will know Beiber, N'Synch, etc, but there's a better chance the Monkees, Paul Revere, et al will be known by some. Because quality lasts...by the same token, Warriors Bar Scenes will still be cool.

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I agree with you completely. But I fear that I have become my parents. Kids today...their music is too loud and I can't understand the lyrics!

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Jeff McGinley said...

My theory is that every generation hears their parent's music muffled in the womb. Pre-disposing them to like songs that are louder with more distortion than their parents stuff. (this is more evidence why I'm an engineer and not a psychologist)

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

This...this makes sense! When I was carrying my son, he'd go bananas whenever Elton John came on for some reason. He DID grow up to be a pretty damn good musician.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home