Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Woohoo!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, November 04, 2011

Woohoo!

Aaaannd we're back! We've got POWER, Baby! Oh electricity, I'll never take you for granted again! Well, actually I will, probably in a week or so, but for the next couple of days, I will worship at your shiny sparkling altar. Five nights in the 30's with no heat was starting...to get on my nerves. We did have a fireplace, thank goodness, and plenty of wood and candles, and we put all the stuff from the fridge in coolers, and the freezers actually did quite well...but still, the thrill had definitely gone.

So...we're back in business. And Matt, my intrepid Comic Book Store owner opened up for business on Wednesday, even though he didn't have any power, because you disturb nerds at your peril. The front door was open, there was light from the big window, and some guys were playing heroclix at a card table, and everyone had horror stories. The cameraderie was palpable.

And books! I've got books!

Action Comics #3

I continue to be in love with this book. We begin with what seems to be the destruction of Kandor and Krypton, but apparently it is Clark's dreams. Is it real? He's disturbed nevertheless, when a bunch of goons show up at his door and search his apartment, looking for evidence to be held against him, his newspaper articles are stirring up a hornet's nest. His old foe is also stirring things up, making Superman out to be an illegal alien,and paying off the squatters that he saved last issue, to speak against him. The situation is getting ugly.

What's even uglier is that in order to impress Lois, Sgt. Corbin volunteers to become the Steel Soldier, and his super suit is invaded by an alien presence. This alien presence is also invading OTHER systems, and seems to be the same force that destroyed Krypton! And Lex Luthor, was the one who struck a deal and brought it here. Oh Lex, you silly boy. He's right on hand to welcome their new alien overlords, but I think that Lex has bitten off a bit more than he can chew.

Delightful.

Green Arrow #3.

I'm not quite sure why I'm sticking with this. Inertia perhaps? The hope that the NEW issue will be better? Not a whole lot happens. The bad guys have Ollie on you-tube and try to kill him in front of everyone ,and all the slackers think that it's fabulous, his cranky guy at his conglomerate is plotting against him, and he shoots some arrows. I'm hanging on till Ann Lopresti shows up.

Justice League International #3.

Now, this, I'm enjoying the heck out of. Things are escalating, there are four giants instead of just one, and Briggs, the U.N. rep is having palpitations. Booster and Batman have come up with a plan, and the various members pair off and infiltrate the subterranean lair...and naturally are being picked off, one by one.

Guy listens into Brigg's tantrum, and realizes that there is a space ship in Earth orbit, and goes up to investigate, as a Green Lantern is supposed to do. He breaks into the ship, and gets clobbered by the bad guy, a Kirbian looking villain named Peraxxus, which is a nice villainy sort of name. I'm loving this all. It isn't terribly deep or complicated, it's just a good comic book.

Red Lanterns #3

Again, I'm not quite sure why I picked this up, I'm not enjoying it all that much. Atrocitus for some reason, decides to give Bleez her brains back, and her emotions as well. Then she goes out looking for a little bit of retribution. She and Atrocitus disagree on their methods, and Atrocitus is beginning to realize that she's a bit craftier than he may have originally thought. It was...ok, I guess.

Swamp Thing #3

This was also quite good. Abbie shows up, and we get a bit of history, and there is this creepy kid who has to live in a bubble because he's allergic to chlorophyll or something, and the other mean kids at the hospital are going to burst his bubble...literally. Something quite unfortunate happens to them, since of course, this kid is more than he appears. Great stuff.


So, a small week, but a pretty decent week.

9 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you've got power back. Sorry about vaporizing the gazebo; the solar mirror still has some calibration issues.

Have to say, I'm enjoying Green Arrow. Perhaps it's just the idea of Steve Jobs as a crime fighter. Red Lanterns lost me after the first issue (I couldn't figure out what would be appealing about it, and apparently neither could the creative team); apparently I haven't missed anything.

-- Jack of Spades

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger Shiraste said...

Welcome back to the future world. ^^

Dropped both Green Arrow and Red Lanterns after issue 1.

Action Comics was rather enjoyable and JLI was fun as usual. :)
Swampy continues on its high level but Detective Comics is kinda losing steam. I just don't dig the villain and with Batman there's a LOT better Batbook out there.
Animal Man really shows the connection to Swamp Thing now. I'll keep getting both even though I still don't really like the art there.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

It's ok, Jack...we enjoyed the pyrotechnics. I like Ollie, and I keep thinking that I ought to like Green Arrow, but it just hasn't been clicking with me. I'll probably hang in there, however.

Yeah, Red Lanterns just isn't doing it for me either. It also contradicts some of the stuff that was going on in Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors, which sticks in my craw, even though some of that...or all of that didn't happen? Since the Green Lantern books sailed right through the relaunch relatively unscathed, I don't know WHAT is going on anymore.

Oh well.

I keep thinking I should pick up Animal Man and keep forgetting.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger notintheface said...

BTW, it's Ann NOCENTI who's taking over Green Arrow. AARON Lopresti is the current JLI artist.

Yes, you SHOULD pick up Animal Man. Also? Swamp Thing and OMAC.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger MetFanMac said...

Yay, you're back!

I was afraid you might have started burning comics for warmth... ;-)

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

I was wondering when you'd get power back. I didn't think it would take that long, though!

And Steve Jobs as a crime fighter...wait, what?

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Hey, it only took six days to get our power back. Some people are still in the dark for eight. CL&P really stinks. They've reduced the number of crews over the past couple of years, while simultaneously raising the compensation for their top echelons by a couple more million bucks a year. In some cases, they have doubled their salaries. In the meantime, they have a whole lot of excuses, but people are still furious. Massachusetts had half the outages and double the number of crews working. Also, Connecticut didn't bother to PAY the out-of-state workers that helped after Irene, so naturally, they are a bit hesitant to help us out again.

Sheesh!

 
At 3:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice blog
check mine :-)

download-dc-new-52.blogspot.com

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Accursed Interloper said...

"This alien presence is also invading OTHER systems, and seems to be the same force that destroyed Krypton!"

Does it? I don't see it. The Kryptonians were already talking about Jor-El's gloomy tectonic prognosis before this force came along, so to me it looks like this is just an opportunistic infection.
I could be wrong; I often am; but this force is behaving SO Brainiacally (miniaturizing Kandor, collaborating with Luthor) that I expect it to turn out to BE Brainiac, or at least to parallel his early career path.
Of course, what I pay Grant Morrison for is to surprise the crap out of me, so me thinking it's one thing probably ENSURES that it's another. Damn the bad luck, I guess I'll just have to buy #4 to find out.
===
"I like Ollie, and I keep thinking that I ought to like Green Arrow"

Yeah, that worked on me with Michael Holt, for all of two issues, before the suckulence became overwhelming. This is simply not the Mister Terrific of old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home