Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Thursday's Reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, October 06, 2011

Thursday's Reviews

My Goodness...it's Thursday already? This was week two of DC's grand experiment, and a relatively small week for me.

Action Comics #2

Let me come right out here, and state that although I have always liked Superman...I've never loved him. I can unequivocally state that I LOVE this Superman. He's young, untried, a bit callow, and a bit cocky. But he's doing his level best to help people. He's still evolving his powers, so he can't move planets yet, and he CAN be hurt. He's still in the "leaping over tall buildings" stage, rather than flying, and my God, but this is wonderful.

I love every character in this book. Lois is dogged, and determined, and she showed up wearing baggy pants and a sweatshirt with nary a breast or butt in sight. I almost fell out of my chair. Henry Irons shows up, and outraged at the treatment that Lex Luthor is dishing out to Superman, he quits in a fine rage. Lex himself is simply fantastic.

As we recall, Superman had been captured, and is now being subjected to what basicaly amounts to torture...all so that Lex can "experiment" on him. Since he's not human, Lex can do whatever he wants without a qualm...not that I think that Lex would let a mere qualm stop him when he has the bit in his teeth. Superman is in an electric chair getting zapped, he's exposed to poison gas, and so on and so forth, and he's obviously in pain, but he's managed to keep his wits...and his sense of humor intact. When Lex confronts him with this weird six-legged goat, and asks him if this is his TRUE form, he just bursts out laughing...much to Lex's displeasure. Lex doesn't LIKE being laughed at.

Naturally, he breaks loose, and just happens upon the alien ship that brought him to earth, where he is amazed to hear it talking to him. He promises he'll be back, retrieves his nice red bulletproof cape and busts out of the joint, waving hello to Lois on the way.

May I just say how much I am loving Rags Morales artwork here. He...he draws great feet! And great shoes! How many artists can say that nowadays? I also have to admit that I am rather taken with the jeans and the scruffy workboots that Superman is wearing. It lends him a look that reminds me of...and please don't laugh...Li'l Abner. Yes, I'm old. But I love the boots, and I like this ensemble better than his NEW outfit over in the JLA.

Buy this book. Read it and treasure it.

Green Arrow #2

This on the other hand...is not very good. I barely recognize Ollie in this imposter. The dialogue is stilted and painful. The plot is dull. The art is adequate. Where is my bombastic, self-righteous, bloviating jackass of a Green Arrow? Yes, Ollie is a jerk, but damn it, I LIKE jerks! Perhaps when Dan Jurgens takes over, I'll come back to this, but Krul is doing nothing for me so far.

Justice League International #2

In so many ways, I love this book. It has some of my favorite people in it. There is room for improvement however.

Guy flew off in a snit in the first issue, and Booster has been sent with his team...plus Batman to Peru to investigate some disappearances, and finds a whole lot more than he bargained for. While fighting the giant roboty thing, his team, which isn't much for teamwork yet, gets trounced, and Ice gets hurt. Despite being yelled at by his U.N. superiors, Booster decides to grab his team and get out while he still HAS a team.

Rocket Red is furious and wants to keep fighting. General in Iron agrees with Booster and talks calmly about strategy. Fire just wants to take care of Ice, and Godiva is a bit perturbed at the violence. Vixen doesn't say much. Meanwhile, Guy wanders into his favorite bar, and orders a tall and cold one from the bartender. The bartender named Beau. OH MY GOD! It's Beau Smith!!!! At least it sure looks like him, and it would be a rather charming wink of the eye by Jurgens to put Guy's best writer into his book.

Hee!

Guy sees that Tora's been hurt, and imediately rushes off to help. Oh, and offer his services of course. By this time, Booster is pretty well fed up and offers to LET Guy take over, but Briggs wants someone that he thinks he can control. Then he starts getting snotty with Batman and the girls all start to take bets on how long he's going to keep his teeth, basically. Then they find out that they have bigger problems than just ONE Robot...because now there are four of them.

The art is pretty, and the story is fun, and I love the characters. Poor Booster is having a rough time of it, but heck, he can handle it...he's got Batman backing him up. Gavril is a bit of a blowhard, but hopefully, he'll settle down soon. Guy is right about thinking that he's a good leader...he IS. But he leads Green Lanterns, he knows all about their abilities and training...which is NOT the case with this bunch.

Still very happy with this book.

Swamp Thing #2

Oh hey, this is good. Alex Holland still doesn't want to have anything to do with the Green, but the Green isn't quite ready to let him go. And we find out all KINDS of cool stuff about the old Swamp Thing, and well...things are a lot different from what I remember. Beautiful art and certainly an interesting twist to the story. I don't know what died-in-the-wool Swamp Thing fans will think, but I like it.

Red Lanterns #2

Atrocitus seems to be having some more soul-searching moments, and decides that he's going to give a little bit more sentience to his crazy posse of rage-a-holics. And stuff happens. I'm not too sure about this book. I don't really see the need for it...I could see this story in an anthology perhaps, or at the back of another book, or maybe in a Green Lantern Quarterly or something. But not necessarily carrying its OWN story.

I also went back and found Journey into Mystery and The Mighty Thor from Marvel. I don't give a rat's behind about the whole "Fear Itself" stuff, but I simply adore baby Loki, so it's worth it for that alone.

Not a bad week at all!

6 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Blogger Erin S. said...

I saw the Beau Smith nod in another review, I knew the name had to mean something for Guy to call him by name but I didn't know what he looked like. Jurgens does do things like that. Very cute. I've always gotten the impression Jurgens is a pretty big Guy fan.

I liked that they all got moments or lines. Gavril seems to waver between being ticked off and pleased with Booster as a leader. I was pretty touched by GAII standing up for Booster. Godiva amuses me as does Boosters' confused reactions. SKEETS!

 
At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Pete said...

The thing that really frustrated me about Red Lanterns #2 is that there was absolutely no need for this issue at all. It didn't advance the plot one single iota from the end of the first issue; in fact the only concept it introduced there was the idea that he'd need to make another intelligent Red Lantern.

 
At 3:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so i guess you won't read Animal Man. not even Swamp Thing?
I tried Green Arrow this week but I found it really bland.

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger Shiraste said...

JLI was again mostly fun, the Rocket Red - AGII dialogue is beginning to annoy me a bit though because it's so stereotypically boring. I got a good laugh out of Batman's "Sit.Down." line however.

Swamp Thing was very good again. I haven't been a hardcore Swampy fan so I appreciate the laying out of the setting.

Detective Comics. I dodn't like it as much as the first issue. It lost momentum imo but it's not bad. Another unnecessary sex scene but not overly sleazy. Just boring, thankfully short.

Action Comics I didn't want to get but then I saw your review and got it after all. I'm glad that I did. Thanks. Lex is a bit bland imo (art wise) but seeing Superman enjoy himself; and enjoying it in turn is something that has been lacking quite some time with this character.

Animal Man I didn't want to get it either but I figure it might be connected with Swamp Thing at some level. I still don't dig the art but the story is nice.

Stormwatch was good but not great imo. It doesn't feel as clumsy as the first one. Maybe because raw character introductions are over. We get a bit more info on the characters but they flow smooth enough. All in all I liked it.

Huntress mini-series. It was rather good, I like how the character was handled. I'll probably get the series if it continues on this level.

I dropped Green Arrow and Red Lantern and from your and other reviews I'm glad that I did.
As a sidenote. So Atrocitus is sort of a slave owner? Dumbed down personal enforcers? - At least that's the vibe I get. I guess if I was waking up from that I'd really feel rage at Atrocitus and try to kick his butt to kingdom come.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Anonymous, I DID read Swamp Thing, and enjoyed it. I just haven't read Animal Man, because it...well, it's never really been my thing.

Erin, the nod to Beau Smith, was a hoot. Godiva DOES seem to be all over Booster, who seems a bit...bemused. We Need More Skeets!

Pete, I agree with you about Red Lanterns. I can see it as a backup feature perhaps...but not carrying a book of its own.

Shiraste, I got Stormwatch last month, mainly because I love J'onn, but again, just couldn't really get into it that much. If it has improved, then perhaps I'll pick it up after all.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

I'm quite glad that you said GA is still crap, cos I dropped it after the first issue. Twas rubbish, and really it shouldn't be hard to write Ollie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home