Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Beloved...and Not So Beloved

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Beloved...and Not So Beloved

Dan Didio announced recently that the Crisis didn't happen in the present configuration of the DC Universe. Or...maybe it did. Or maybe some of the OTHER events did or did not happen. It all depends.

Since I actually LIKE continuity, and manage to keep all of the twists and turns of history handled fairly neatly, this drives me up a wall. I'm a History Major, dammit. Continuity is like food and drink to me! Now, I suppose it all depends upon the current whim of the current writer...and considering how quickly writers come and go on the average, I can foresee that the NEW Continuity is going to become a giant mess sooner rather than later. One of the reasons why reboots really don't work all that well. But that's fodder for another column.

Anyhoo.

Does this mean...could this possibly mean...that characters that were dead, aren't necessarily REALLY dead? Could this be a backdoor method of bringing back some of my favorites? Or even NOT so favorites. I've thought of creating a feature, called "Beloved and Beloathed". I have a crapload of Beloveds, and not nearly so many beloathed...but there ARE a few.

Oh, and in keeping with my Tuesday theme...

Kyle pictures

Yeah, yeah, he's not getting hit in the head. But he IS being thwacked quite nicely, and it shows off his behind so well, that I just couldn't resist.

6 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger googum said...

I'm ranting about this tomorrow, I do believe; but my stand is: have continuity, or don't. Stop trying to have it both ways. And I usually like continuity; but man, there are stretches of it I wouldn't mind seeing cut. Especially if it gets back Ted Kord or Vic Sage.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

DC seems to feel the constant need to...tinker. Granted, there are some stories that were just STINKERS! But still, it just confuses people when you arbitrarily start plucking somethings out of canon, and ignoring others.


But I completely agree...there are some characters that I would love to get back...including the two you listed.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I've never bought the whole "continuity's too confusing" argument. I can't remember who said it, but if a 10 year old kid in the 70's could keep Earths-1, 2, 3, S and X separate why can't we today?

And yeah, Sally, I think the new continuity's going to get screwed up fairly soon.

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

animal man was beautiful again
uswzb

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

A child's mind is agile, and open to all kinds of new stuff. Continuity is no problem for them. Look at sports fans. They're able to memorize all kinds of arcane and obscure data and nobody raises an eyebrow. Nerds LIKE to memorize totally useless knowledge! I know I do.

People who can't follow continuity are lazy!

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

That's actually a little harsh. But still...It's so aggravating to go to the trouble...AND pleasure of knowing all this cool stuff, and suddenly none of it applies any longer. Makes me cranky.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home