Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Thursday's reviews

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, September 08, 2011

Thursday's reviews

Gosh! I...I'm all a'twitter. This was the first REAL week of the new rollout and I have to say that I was filled with a certain amount of trepidation. However, MOST of my fear has evaporated. Although I am filled with a lot of questions about...stuff.

Action Comics #1

I wasn't too sure if I wanted to get this. I like Superman, but he's not my favorite. Still, Grant Morrison was phenomenal on the Superman mini-series, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. And I'm glad that I did.

This is a different Superman. I am assuming that this also takes place in the past, as Superman seems very young, very callow, and very very new to the superhero business. He is living in Metropolis, fresh off of the farm, apparently, and has a job at a different newspaper than Lois and Jimmy. He has a nice landlady, who nevertheless wants to be paid. He's running about helping the poor and the helpless and looking damn fine doing it.

General Lane is there and so is Lex Luthor. They're...they're fabulous. Jimmy and Lois are there too, and they are equally fabulous.

Damn it, I liked this. I liked it a lot.

Batgirl #1

Yes, that is Babs, and she's back in black. But she still did get shot in the spine in a nasty home invasion, and when she's helping some people who are being invaded themselves, she can't help but remember. She does manage to take out the extremely vile bunch of over-priviledged teens who just love to terrorize innocent lives, but when she goes to the hospital where one of them is recuperating, she freezes at an inappropriate moment. Oh, did I mention that there is some sort of fellow going around killing people who didn't die when they should have...or something? Gail Simone does it again, and again, I wasn't too sure about this...but I liked it too.

Green Arrow #1

I'm not quite sure what to think about this one. It has very nice artwork, courtesy of Dan Jurgens. Ollie is young, hip and a millionare, with his own company. That company has a separate division with some handy types who help him in his war against crime. In fact, he seems very very much like Bruce Wayne, except that he's blonde. He fights some low-lifes whose idea of a good time is to film their exploits on You-Tube. And his CEO is pissed off most of the time.

This wasn't bad. I don't know if I actually buy Ollie as a young hip blonde Bruce, but I guess it works. It's just not quite the same without him calling Hal a nazi or something though.

Justice League International #1

Oh my. There will be more about this one tomorrow.

Stormwatch #1

I am getting this book solely because it has Martian Manhunter in it. I never read the Authority, and I only vaguely know who most of these people are. And while I adore J'onn, I'm not too sure that I'll keep up with this one. Perfectly servicable, and not a bad story I suppose...but I just don't really have much of an interest in these people...except for J'onn.

Still... it sure was an interesting week!

10 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Anonymous uswzb said...

I liked Animal Man very a lot.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

For some reason I forgot to pick that up. That and Swamp Thing, of which I have also heard good things. Hopefully, there will still be copies left!

At least Buddy and Ellen are still married!

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Shiraste said...

Swampy was great! In my opinion the best of the bunch.
I know you're not a big fan of Bats but Detective Comics was very good, too, in my opinion.

Picked up Action Comics but not sure if I'll continue with it. I never was a huge Superman fan and didn't overly like this one either...

JLI was mostly fun but I'll wait on your review before commenting more ^_^

Stormwatch I picked up because of the green bloke as well, but didn't really convince me. Probably needed some oreos. =)

 
At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Jimmy said...

Great reviews. I haven't read mine yet. I picked up JLI and Swamp Thing this week and will be getting Green Arrow soon.

I have heard mostly positive about action and animal man. Those may be picked up as well. I just can't decide.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger poops said...

As a hardcore Swamp Thing and Stormwatch/Authority fan, I have to say Batgirl was AMAZING!

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised for the most part. I'm not quite sure WHAT to expect, but although some things have certainly changed, it wasn't gawdawful or anything.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I'm glad you're finding things to enjoy. My commenting from here on will be uh, less frequent, since I'm not reading most of the DCnU books. But I am reading your blog, even if you don't get comments from me.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Shelly, at least you are reading some really really good books, with Zorro and Lone Ranger and...and stuff.

I have to admit to some frustration, in trying to figure out how much beloved (and not-so-beloved) continuity is still in effect, or thrown out the window. Also, despite what Dan Didio said, they have obviously left in some back door explanations of how to revert back to the REAL DC universe, should the situation arise.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Retconning back would be easy. Another Crisis! Another Flashpoint! Easy peasy! ;)

 
At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Loki said...

I've never ben able to get into SuperMan either. Sometimes he's just not bad-ass enough for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home