Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Bouquets and Brickbats

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Bouquets and Brickbats

Well, that was an interesting week, to say the least. TWO Green Lantern books, not to mention that now that Batman is back, he's just popping up EVERYwhere.

So let's start with Batman, shall we?

Batman Incorporated #1. This was not bad. Not bad at all. I don't quite know what I was expecting, but it is always nice to see Bruce and Selina teamed up. And Yanick Paquette's artwork was VERY nice indeed. And tentacles can occasionally be a treat. I'm not too sure about Bat's new suit, the gloves are a little on the odd side, but hey. I'm not the one who has to wear them. So a nice little bouquet.

Batman: The Return #1. Still MORE Batman. I always enjoy seeing Damian, the little squirt has certainly grown on me. And his uncertainty about his future, and apparent desire to stick with Dick is rather endearing. The art was ok, if a little muddy at times, and man is that one weird looking old bat. But still...not bad at all.

Brightest Day #14. And here's Batman on the cover! Sheesh! Lots and lots of Deadman in this particular issue, which is a good thing, since I like Deadman, at least the way that Ivan Reis draws him. Who knew that Deadman could be so HAWT?! Bruce is being a bit of a tool, but that's par for the course, and the White Entity is just deliberately being obnoxious. At least, finally, Deadman seems to be getting the message. And call me a sap, but I loved the last page.

Awwwwwww...! So a very nice bouquet. With red roses for Deadman and Dove.

The Flash #6. Well, fry me for a donut, but I loved this. All the threads came together, and it all makes sense now! And a nice peek at the Rogues, which always makes me happy. I wonder where Boomerang DID go to? A bright and happy bouquet.

Green Lantern #59. I did NOT see that coming!

Green Lantern Corps #54. Yet MORE green green fun.

Justice League of America #51. I wasn't too sure about this at first, but it's growing on me. Nice to see Blue Jay, I thought he was dead! Lots and lots of violence and an interesting foe. Not a HUGE bouquet, but still, at least a posy.

DC Legacies #7. I was so delighted with this mini when it first came out, but to me at least, it has been slipping a bit. What I don't understand, is how the narrator, is shown as being OLD, when in the flashbacks, he's a youngish contemporary of all the DC heroes. He's certainly aged in a few years...unlike everyone else.

Oh well. But the Justice League International shows up with Booster and Beetle, and Ice and Fire and Guy, and that just makes my day. Well..and Maxima shows up too, but you can't have everything. So a handful of dandylions.

5 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger Your Obedient Serpent said...

Batman: The Return #1: Grant, I love you, but please do at least a little token research about bat behavior before centering the opening pages of your story around a tortured behavioral metaphor. I expect better from the scribe of Animal Man.

As for Legacies ... yeah, the youthfulness of the protagonist in the flashbacks gives me a headache. Even if the JLI/Doomsday issue happened in the early '90s, Our Hero, who was around 10 in 1945, should be in almost 60 at the youngest. With the "sliding timeline" nonsense figured in, he went from Lively Blond 70-year-old to Crusty Old Guy (who LOOKS 70) in the course of about 5 years.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Exactly! He's all young looking when Barbara Gordon gets shot by the Joker, but now he's aged thirty years?

Weird.

Yeah, the bat thing was a little...odd. We have a ton of bats around our house...and occasionally IN our house, and I've never seen them act...or look like that. But I suppose he's going for the metaphor.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Ivan Reis can make ANYONE look "hawt." ;-) I still miss him on Green Lantern.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger LissBirds said...

That's what...three titles with tentacles in the past month? :P

The only way I can make sense of comic book time and aging is not to think about it. :)

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Ivan Reis can indeed draw his ass off. I miss him on Green Lantern too...nobody draws Hal's butt quite like him.

*sigh*

Liss, there are MORE tentacles? I am...intrigued!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home