Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: My...That was a good Week!

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, September 17, 2009

My...That was a good Week!

There were a lot of very nice books this week. Not that there is any such thing as a BAD comic book week. But some are a little better than others.

First off, we have Batman & Robin, with Grant Morrison, and Philip Tan on the artwork instead of Frank Quitely. Fortunately, he DOES do the cover. I thought that Tan's artwork was adequate. Not up to Quitely's standards, but very few people are. I'm still in a mild state of shock over the fact that I'm actually reading a Bat Book...and enjoying it.

The Red Hood has enlisted the girl that Damian had helped free from Professor Pyg, and together they are running about fighting crime...brutally. The Penguin gets caught in a mess, and finally the two pairs of vigilantes meet up...and it's going to be glorious.

I'm mainly picking up Batman: Streets of Gotham for the Manhunter backup, but I have to admit that the main story is pretty good too. It just makes sense that there is a real estate broker in Gotham who specializes in quirky themed hideouts for super villains. Oh, and Helena shows up to hang out with Kate in Manhunter, which is nice. I'll take my Birds where I can find them.

Blackest Night #3...Be still my heart. More on this tomorrow.

The Brave & the Bold. Woohoo! A team-up between Batman and Robby Reed, of Dial H for Hero! This is a little off-beat, but fun, and I have to say that Jesus Saiz on the artwork was excellent. It was a nice done-in-one story, the team-up made sense and it was fun. What more can you ask for?

Fables. Oooohh...the plot thickens. Ozma continues to spy on Frau Totenkinder, who is up to all kinds of interesting things out in the middle of the woods. The Fables are broke, and Gepetto is also probably up to no good. Oh, and Beauty has a little surprise for Beast. Good stuff.

Final Crisis: Escape #5. Nemesis finally seems to be getting something of a hand on his current predicament. This whole mini-series has been just ODD, but I'm still liking it, in a weird sort of way. It had Amanda Waller and Count Vertigo in it too, and I like them.

JSA vs Kobra #4. Kobra continues to do strange and peculiar, if horrendous things, while Mister Terrific does his best to try and figure out exactly what is going on. And a lot of stuff blows up.

Outsiders. I can't believe this...but Tomasi has actually made Geo-force...interesting! He and Metamorpho go up against Clayface, and it is pretty cool how they manage to save the day. Decent art and a good story.

Wednesday Comics. I really like this. About the only story that I don't go nuts over, is Teen Titans, although the Wonder Woman strip is not my favorite, but the rest of them have been simply fabulous. And Sgt. Rock FINALLY shot a Nazi! Finally! It's been great, and I'm going to miss it when it is finished.

Did you all enjoy YOUR comics?

5 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Pete said...

I liked Tan's work on B&R--while it's not as zany as Quitely's, it has a certain gritty freshness to it which I think fits the theme of the story involving Red Hood. And since that's going for 3 issues, then Quitely's back, that's perfect for me!

Brave and the Bold: I KNEW I forgot to pick something up last night!

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

The Brave and the Bold was really pretty good. I'm not familiar with the artist, but his work was VERY nice. I think you'll like it.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Duskdog said...

I'm neutral on Tan's work, but I'm happy to see anyone but Quitely. His people freak me out. I can't decide if they're all from an alien planet where everyone is vaguely Asian, or whether they're just straight-up monsters from under my bed. Though I suppose the style fits Damian, who is a little troll and should be drawn like one so that people know to avoid him. :)

I'm loving Fables, though! I wasn't quite as enthralled with the last storyline, but things are really starting to heat up again. The only thing I ever really dislike about this title is that one issue per month isn't enough!

I'm not sure why I'm still reading Green Arrow and Black Canary. A sense of loyalty to two characters that I love, even though their book is constantly underwhelming?

Oh well. It was sort of a sparse week for me, but Blackest Night #3 was a nice treat!

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Okay, despite my grumblings a few weeks ago about the Blackest Night plotline being old and a little too familiar, I'm ENJOYING it. I'm even enjoying the Titans crossover, ferpetesake. That just ain't right!

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I haven't been able to force myself to pick up Titans, but I'm loving the rest of Blackest Night...even Batman!

Duskdog, I feel the same way about Green Arrow/Black Canary. I love the characters, but I did finally drop the book, because it really isn't very good, at least lately, and I can only talk myself into thinking that maybe THIS month it will be good for so long.

Quitely is something of an acquired taste. His eyes are squinty, and his chins are enormous, but by god, his anatomy is right on, and his use of movement is spectacular.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home