Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Thursday's Reviews of Wednesday's Books

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thursday's Reviews of Wednesday's Books

There were actually some pretty good books coming out this week, so I am all a'twitter.

Firstly, we have Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert's Detective Comics #853, which is the second half of his "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader" story, and although a bit delayed, it is...Super! The art is lovely of course, and as usual, Gaiman presents an interesting and tightly interwoven story. It also manages to combine "Goodnight Moon" with Batman's near-death experience, and if that's not something to die for, then I don't know what is.

It's really really good.

Next, we have the beginning of the Great Fables Crossover, in Jack of Fables, as Snow WHite and Bigby go and visit Jack, after Jack dropped his little bomb on them, back in the last issue of Fables. Again, it's just a lot of silly fun, with a few moments of "what the heck?"

Also, very good.

The sole Marvel occupant of this list, is of course, the Incredible Hercules, which continues to astonish and entertain me. They also haven't raised the price...yet. Athena,Hercules and Amadeus Cho battle against both Hera and her group, but also Osborn's wacky evil Avengers,and it's one long and highly amusing romp.

Then there is Justice League of America. I've been frustrated by this book, it can be very draggy, but every once in a while, they'll change the artist, and we end up with a really decent story. This time we have Rags Morales instead of Ed Benes, and things beging to improve immmediately. There is a certain amount of fallout from Black Canary's decision to throw in the towel, especially since the rest of the remaining members don't particularly FEEL like quitting. There is some very nice character work with John Stewart and Vixen, and between Dr. Light and Firestorm.

So what the heck, I liked it.

I've actually been buying Outsiders ever since Peter Tomasi came on board, and I haven't been disappointed, even though I really think that Geo-Force is a dweeb. But Metamorpho is always fun, and so is Alfred, so I've been enjoying this story as well.

Besides, it's worth it, just for Owlman's lines.

Finally, we end up with Trinity. All KINDS of stuff is going on here, and Lex Luthor even ends up being heroic...albeit in his own peculiar fashion. I am quite looking forward to seeing how this all ends up.

So...a pretty good week. A pretty FUN week, and that's always a good thing. Sometimes I complain about my comics, but for the most part I would rather rave about them, and this week, I could.

6 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Poor Geo-Force. He is only as his creator made him. Unfortunately, his creator apparently made him a dweeb. But being a dweeb, he can be nothing else. Where the hell was I going with this? Never mind. Have they done a startling reveal of the identity of Owlman? Is it Vibe?

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Saranga said...

I forgo to pick up Gaiman's detective comics. Oh well. It'll probably be all sold out now so that's that.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Ah, well, we agree on some and not on others. I had to check the art credits on JLA twice to be sure Rags was the artist because I thought this was his weakest work in quite a while. And the first half of JLA was a whole lot of nothing. I like talky scenes if some real character development happens, but this felt like hashing and rehashing.

And while there were some neat bits in Detective, the whole story felt flat to me, except for Bruce's mother.

I didn't get to Fables yet. It's on the To Read stack.

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

I think Rags has been kept busy on the work he's been doing for Blackest Night. As long as THAT artwork is up to his usual standards, I can handle less-than-steller JLA art.

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I agree, Sky. The art on Blackest Night must be wonderful. And the JLA these days doesn't deserve the best art. ;)

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Owlman's identity was revealed a couple of issues ago, Calvin. Sad to say, he's NOT Vibe.

Saranga, I hope your store reorders it, if they are all out.

Shelly, it may not have been Rags's best work, but I still thought it was pretty good. Poor JLA...I keep waiting for things to happen.

Sea, I agree with you completely, about Blackest Night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home