Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: It Was Wednesday, and I Bought Some Stuff

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, October 23, 2008

It Was Wednesday, and I Bought Some Stuff

Aaaannndd we're back. A little slower and a bit creaky, but my computer woes seem to be on the mend...at least I can fake it until I get my GOOD computer fixed...which may be awhile. *sigh*

Anyhoo...something of a slow week for me, but there were certainly some goodies amongst the racks.

Birds of Prey#123.............The Calculator returns! I LOVE the Calculator! I don't even know
why, I just do. Oh, and the Joker shows up, and Babs manages to face him down. She is also mildly insulted that he apparently doesn't recognize her. I would have thought that was a GOOD thing! Double-crosses and duplicity are flying all over the place!

Blue Beetle #32.................Another excellent issue. I'll get to it.

Final Crises: Submit..........I...I liked this. It features Black Lightning and the Tattooed Man, trying to save various people, while being hunted by all the transformed humans and metahumans and stuff. There is massive property damage and evil dogs get blowed up. I read this before I read Final Crises, and it's a good thing that I did.

Final Crises #4...................A lot of people apparently didn't like this. I did, so pooh. I'm glad that I read "Submit" first however, since it explains why the Tattooed Man shows up at the refuge and not Jefferson. Darkseid is taking over the Earth, and although he's fighting it, Dick Turpin is slowly submitting to his possession. Lots of other people have been taken over as well, or are off the drawing board for some reason. There are still a few pockets of resistance however. Green Arrow manages to get his bunch to safety, and there is a rather poignant moment between he and Black Canary. Alan Scott is trying to get everybody together, but it isn't working too well. It's dark, and things are very much going to hell in a handbasket.

There is also a lot of kvetching about how J.G. Jones wasn't able to complete all the artwork. He is quite efficiently helped out in this issue by Carlos Pacheco, and I hear that Doug Mahnke will be doing the final issue. I LOVE Mahnke. These are all excellent artists, so I have no problem with it at all...and I find all the hysteria rather baffling, to be honest. Yes, it would be nice for the given artist to be able to finish the assignment, especially given a reasonably adequate lead time. However, things DO occasionally happen, and although I blush to admit this, as a fangirl, I WILL manage to survive this. So long as DC manages to get the books out reasonably on time, I will let it go. Besides, in another few months, we'll all be foaming at the mouth about something new.

DC Universe: Halloween Special....Aawwww...this had Ralph and Sue Dibny in it! I miss Ralph and Sue. As is usual, it is a lot of short stories by various writers and artists, and for the most part they are all pretty good. I can't think of a real clunker or a real stand-out, so it was a pleasant read and a little bit of fun. Plus it had Kyle and his remarkable behind in one story. Can't ask for more than that!

Tangent: Superman's Reign #8........The evil Superman and evil Power Girl have managed to find OUR world...I think. They are met by OUR Superman and Power Girl. Bad Superman blows up the Capitol and the White House. This makes our heroes moderately irate. Meanwhile, Batman and the rest of the good guys are still stuck on the Tangent Universe and still looking for a way out. As this is drawing to an eventual end, I am pretty sure that they will find one. Good silly fun, if only for the nerd portrayal of Guy Gardner at the back of the book. That STILL cracks me up.

Thor: The Truth of History.......This has Alan Davis, and it has Thor AND it has the Warrior's Three, so I was delighted to get this. They end up travelling to ancient Egypt, which is always fun, and have a number of run-ins with the natives, with a lot of misunderstandings and human (or godly) sacrifice, a Griffon, a Sphinx, and a heck of a rainstorm. Lots of fun.

I am rather bemused by the fact that this cost $3.99 instead of the more usual 2.99 for the same number of pages. Final Crises cost $3.99 too, but it was nice and fat. Just one more reason why I'm still ticked off at Marvel. Stop the price gouging!

Trinity #21........I'm still enjoying this. A nice look at the histories of the bad guys,and a wonderful second story with Firestorm and John Stewart. It comes out every week like clockwork, and it's...interesting, darn it!

I also picked up something else at my beloved comic book store, but that would be a post for another day. Needless to say, it is large and green, and made me smile. A LOT!

6 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Oooooh, Martian Manhunter in a Speedo, right? ;-)

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Trinity was pretty good and I loved Birds of Prey. Haven't read the others yet.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Nice try, Sea, but it's better...oh so much better.

Trinity WAS good! It's always nice to see John Stewart, and things seem to be humming along nicely in both stories. Birds of Prey was also good. Too bad for Babs that the Joker DOES remember her at the end.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

I've read only a couple of books these week, being Final Crisis 4 one of them. Well, I hated it :P Hated it so much. And now I find out that I had to read Final Crisis: Submit first. Hmph! That only adds some fuel to my dislike.

I've embraced a lot of DC's events, but this one has failed to grab me on any level. Too bad. Morrison isn't the same guy who used to write Doom Patrol and Animal Man :-(

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I've actually been liking Final Crises, but it is hard to remember what exactly happened in the last issue, when they are months apart. I imagine that it will all read much better in trade format.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Siskoid said...

I like Final Crisis too, but yeah, totally a better experience in trade. Maybe one of the odd things is that we've got this big universe-destroying event happening, but it doesn't cross over into the regular books (which I'm fine with, but it's still like it's happening offstage somewhere).

And at the same time, Trinity is ALSO doing a universe-destroying event which ALSO has no bearing on regular books.

So I guess the heroes had a couple of rough weekends that should be inserted into their adventures at some point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home