Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Why this is Delightful

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Friday, September 05, 2008

Why this is Delightful

Usually the first week of the month is a bit thin for me, but not THIS week! Of course there were actually three books that I SHOULD have gotten last week, that finally showed up, such as Ambush Bug, Blue Beetle and Wolverine:First Class. (Curse you Diamond!) Oh, and Green Lantern was a week late, but I finally got my greedy mitts upon it. However, THIS week, Diamond had to go and not deliver Manhunter! Gah!

I can't win for losing.

But anyway, it was a very nice week, lack of Manhunter not withstanding. I'm talking about Jonah Hex, and some VERY bizarre shenanigans, all teamed up with J.H. Williams artwork. More people really ought to be reading Jonah Hex. Dwayne and I can't carry this book by ourselves, people!

There was the first issue of Secret Six, and I am just giggling with joy. So much goodness...and it is only the first issue! Floyd Lawton is just SO fabulous. So is Catman of course. And Ragdoll and Bane of all people. And I even felt a little sympathy for poor Scandal. They may be morally ambiguous, but by gosh, this little group of people WORKS so well together. All this and Butter Brickle icecream! Yum!

Fables is nice and thick this month. We come to the conclusion of the war against the Adversary...and I have to admit that I did NOT see that ending coming. Too bad about...well, you'll just have to read it yourselves. Fabulous!

Nightwing was good, with Rags Morales back on the artwork. Some very very nice moments with Dick and Alfred.

I'm enjoying Trinity. Hawkman is an idiot, but a badassed idiot, and Vixen has the gumption to stand up and tell Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman that they're behaving...oddly, and to snap out of it.

I even picked up the Submariner book from Marvel, because I do secretly harbor a slight fondness for Namor. Quite claustrophobic and atmospheric, I'm looking forward to the next issue.

I finally got Ambush Bug, #2. It is utterly, and completely ridiculous of course. There isn't even a smidgeon of a plot, just a lot of terrible terrible jokes...and I loved it.

Blue Beetle was great, it seems that Sturges is starting to really find his voice on this book. Rafael Albuquerque's art is also sensational as usual. I love Paco's mother.

I'm enjoying Green Lantern of course. Who knew that Sinestro could be a sympathetic character? More on Hal tomorrow.

Did everyone else enjoy their comics?

5 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

I can't wait to read Secret Six #1 as well :)

Today I have an exam, a weird one considering I loath the class but I kind of do well in it.

But I'll get to read it. I can't wait :D

I gave up on Trinity after issue 2. After Countdown, I decided to spend my reading hours on stuff I actually enjoy.

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Trinity started out a little slow, but it has certainly been picking up momentum, and I'm enjoying it. I can understand being a bit gunshy after Countdown however.

Secret Six is a hoot. The villain is terrifying, and yet there are some real moments of hilarity throughout. Good good stuff, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

I'm on my way to Secret Six as we speak :)

But I'm still hesitant about Trinity. I read in a forum that it took some 11 issues to start picking up, but to me, that's just bad narrative. We'll see. If something Earth-shattering happens, I might take a look, otherwise, I won't :P

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

I was astonished at Jonah Hex. I read about this plot idea quite some time ago and was scared that they were going to follow through with the tie-in to current DCU.

I loved the artwork on it, found myself going back and studying each page.

What really grabbed my attention was the DC Nation blurb that says we are in store for a 6 issue arc that sounds like either El Papayago or Turnbull is coming back.

oooooooooooooooooo can't wait.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Those two? Good Grief! Now that was something that I did not know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home