Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Too Much Negativity

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Monday, September 01, 2008

Too Much Negativity

Is it me, or are there an unnusual amount of crabby posters lately? I'm not saying that it all has to be sunshine and rainbows, and LORD knows, there is nothing like a really good rant or a little bit of shadenfreude to cheer me up, but the number of people who never post anything BUT negativity seems to be rising.

I've said this before, sometimes, I'll read my books and not be enthralled. Sometimes, I'll be out and out appalled. But those instances are pretty rare for me. I LIKE my comics. If I didn't like them, I wouldn't be buying them. Simple as that. Not everyone likes the same comics that I do. I snicker at their bad taste, and move on with my life. If someone is ecstatic over a comic that I do not care for, I try not to rain on their parade (see snickering at bad taste)

I was a bit startled therefore, to read a column over at CBR by a fairly new poster, who keeps listing all the things about comics that he hates. He's been at this for quite some time now, and I'm finding it a bit tiresome, but I do know that coming up with new topics can sometimes be difficult. What DID take me aback, is that he's now listing blogs and bloggers that he doesn't like as well.

This seems unnecessarily rude. There is nothing wrong with listing blogs and bloggers that you like, that is why I have a list on the side over there of some of my favorite places to visit. What I don't have, and will never have, is a list of places and people that aren't my favorites. What is the point of that? Why go out of your way to insult people that you don't even know? It all seems to smack of wanting to call attention to oneself by any means possible. And I'm getting a bit too old for that crap.

Speaking of getting a bit too old. There was another gentleman on "When Fangirls Attack" who had a meltdown at a convention over middle-aged useless women getting in his way. Apparently everyone else at the convention was just swell, except for those horrible fat, unmarried, childless, unattractive middle-aged women.

Being a middle-aged woman, I was a tad on the miffed side. Granted, I've managed to fulfill my biological function and foal no fewer than four times, but I AM in the throes of menopause and I have managed to put on a few pounds over the years. This apparently renders me a blight on this fellow's landscape. Fortunately, Colleen Doran settles his hash rather nicely.

So...to sum up...the sun is shining, the grill is burning, good comics are coming out this week, and school is starting. There is an awful lot to be cheerful about. Well...comics are actually going to be delayed till Thursday because of the holiday...but we can LIVE with that!

Have a nice Labor Day.

10 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Yeah, I tend to avoid bloggers who are chronic complainers. I don't mind the occasional complaint, but nonstop complaining gets downright depressing after a while -- and, as you pointed out, if they don't like the comics, then why are they reading them? I think the answer to that is that they like the attention they get when they tick people off. *Sigh.*

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

Just to state the obvious, I visit your blog because it's fun, it dwells on the positive and you also seem to be a kind and fun woman.

Those who like to stay on the bad side of the equation, probably live their lives that same way.

Do the math and see who wins ;)

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Patrick C said...

I hate comic books, and Green Lantern butts are overrated!

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Patrick C said...

And I read that CBR blog, and got really annoyed at him 'hating' other blogs. Especially since two of my favorite blogs were on his list! Scipio was the first comic blog I discovered, and I discovered this whole community of comic bloggers through the Absorbascon.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

...and then she grabbed both poodles, flipped her hair at me and stomped out of the room, leaving her shoes, a bag of Taco Bell leftovers, and the pieces of my heart all over the floor.

Other than that, I ain't got nuthin'

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Oh Dwayne. Never ever change. Chris and Patrick, thank you. However, I must point out that Green Lantern butts cannot POSSIBLY be over-rated.

Sea, I think that you've summed it all up pretty succinctly as usual. It does seem to be strange to enjoy kvetching ALL of the time. Do people who knit do this? Or football fans?

*sigh*

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Andy said...

yeah, I think knitters complain, but not about knitting. Football fans are way bigger complainers (aka armchair quarterbacks)

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger K. D. Bryan said...

THANK YOU. God.

Comics are fun, dammit. I make a conscious effort not to blog about the myriad of things in comics that make me angry just because I think there's too much negativity out there in the Comics Blogosphere. If I wanted to rant and rave about "fill in the blank", I could but I choose to champion titles and things I love about comics instead. I may not love Green Lantern's butts but I love that you do. ;)

Yay for loving comics!

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Aw shucks!

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

...and then she grabbed both poodles, flipped her hair at me and stomped out of the room, leaving her shoes, a bag of Taco Bell leftovers, and the pieces of my heart all over the floor and walls.

Other than that, I ain't got nuthin'

See, I can change. Change is good. You save up enough of it and you have a dollar!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home