Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: What Sorcery is This?

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

What Sorcery is This?

So...I was driving, and searching desperately for my sunglasses, and found an odd pair, which I put on...and WHOA! Instead of the usual gray lenses, these were amber, and suddenly, the normal world was transformed into the ANTI-MATTER UNIVERSE! Everything was...yellow! The greens were glowing green, the whites were yellow, the sky was yellow...it was as though I was suddenly transported to Qward!

Turns out they belong to my youngest, but we have agreed that they are to become known as the Sinestro Glasses, and she gave them to me for my birthday today.

Yes. I'm OLD!

And being old, I want to take advantage of that fact, and explain it all to the youngsters here about comic books in the Olden Days. When I started collecting comics, they cost 20 cents, and very shortly thereafter went up to a whole 25 cents. There was no internet in those days, so nobody was able to blog about it or call for Dan Dideo's head. The books were printed on thin crappy paper, and very simply colored. Artists used zipotone to give texture and shadows. It was the 1970's so the covers were bright, garish and full of blurbs. There weren't a lot of cross-overs or "events". Most stories were single issue or two-issue stories, but there were some that went on for a bit, which was considered to be pretty darn daring and state of the art for the time.

Roy Thomas was writing Avengers, and John Buscema was doing the artistic chores. The women mostly stood around and fainted or waved their hands or had mental powers, they didn't punch people or get dirty, and people like Hawkeye sneered at them for being "female and therefore incompetent". I wasn't very old, but I thought that Hawkeye was a dillweed.

Barry West was still alive, and Hal Jordan was still shagging stewardesses. Batman wasn't the dark and grim and gritty asshole of the present yet, but he was still pretty cranky. There weren't any comic books stores yet, you had to go to the newstand or the drug store, and search for them on a revolving rack. You couldn't find back issues, unless you knew somebody who would trade you for them. By the time that I went to college, there was a seedy little bookstore right next to my dorm at UConn, that actually had back issues of comic books, and I thought that I was in heaven. I actually rode my bike to Willimantic to find another seedy little bookstore that had MORE back issues, and bought all of five old Thor's, and considered myself in heaven. They didn't cost very much, but I didn't HAVE very much. This was a time when I had about $20 a month to spend on myself. A MONTH. Of course, tuition only cost about $4,000 too, so I suppose that it is all relative.

Nowadays (you KNEW I'd use that word eventually) I think a single comic costs what all those old Thor's cost me. I have to admit that as much as I adore old Silver age stuff, I love my modern comics too. We have better paper, and all that gorgeous computerized coloring. We have good writers and artists, and we have the internet now, so we can all get together and either complain or rejoice. As a middle-aged woman, I am considered to be something of a curiosity, certainly an anomaly, in this little hobby of ours. You have no idea how lovely and heartwarming it can be, to find that there are OTHER people who have the same interests, and like the same books and are more than willing to discuss them. It makes it a little less lonely.

Now I'm going to go and eat some birthday cake.

And I'm going to show off Hal's magnificent behind. Just because I can!

Hal Pictures

6 Comments:

At 6:11 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Well, bust my britches! HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, Sally m'girl! Yeah, we middle-aged female comic book fans are odd critters, aren't we? But DARNED if we don't have fun. And may the year ahead be filled with the best of fun times for you and your family. :-)

Your youngest is a member of the Sinestro Corps ...? ;-)

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well thank you, Sea. My youngest isn't a member of the Sinestro Corps...yet. I occasionally think that she has more in common with the Star Stapphires. But she is VERY adept at inducing Fear! At least since she got her driver's license.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger nicodemus88 said...

Happy birthday Sally, our dear lady of green ^^ !!! stay as you are, you've got the capacity of enjoyment that lot of youngsters did'nt have !!

Well I am considered an anomaly too by my pupils because I told them I don't like soccer ( it's the Euro league so children argue about their teams), a monster they think I am, a monster !!!

May this year be as full of GL butt happiness as last year !!!

( Well if was on DC board I would have made the opening of Warriors during your month birthsday lol.)

N.

 
At 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something about Sally P's birthday must be bringing out all the middle-aged female comics fans (there are at least three of us).

I've been reading comics since the age of ten. Mostly at neighbor kids' homes, since my mom wouldn't let me bring them into the house--until an issue of THE ATOM helped me pass a science test. Ha!

In lieu of a present, Sally, I'm de-lurking to tell you how much I enjoy your clever blog. You're one heckuva writer!

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Thank you, Nicodemus and Pearly Queen. Nico, I don't really like soccer either. I play croquet!

We need MORE middle-aged women reading comics.

Have you ever seen that skit by Monty Python, where they are all dressed up like suburban ladies, and march down the street shoving the local toughs out of the way? We should do that! While wearing hats.

 
At 4:05 AM, Blogger Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

20 cents? Ya snot-nosed brat. I was buying them when they were 12 cents. None of this fancy slap-down-two-dimes-grab-a-book-&-run. We had to dig around for pennies PENNIES I tell ya.

ANd our books didn't have staples, they were held together with porcupine quills and bone!!

Stupid snot nosed brats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home