Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Supermellagorgeous

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Supermellagorgeous

*sigh*

Oh this WAS a lovely week.

For the first time in my life, I picked up and bought a copy of Action Comics, and I'm glad...GLAD that I did. It seems to be a pretty good jumping-on point, I love Geoff Johns as a writer, and I've liked Gary Frank from way back when he used to draw the Hulk. I have to say that the artwork was just gorgeous. Is it me, or does Clark look astonishingly like Christopher Reeve? That's only a good thing, in my book.

Anyhoo...good story, lots of fun small moments and an excellent cliff-hangar, not to mention some large moments as well, such as the room full of bottled cities. Incidentally, I loved the scene both with Steve Lombard, who look eerily like Matt O'Dare, and the return of Cat Grant. The bit with the doughnut just cracked me up. She was trying SO HARD, and Clark just wouldn't play.

Then there was the second part of the Batgirl/Catwoman fracas in Batman Confidential, and as usual Kevin Maguire does not disappoint. In fact I was having so much fun with the artwork, that I didn't even CARE who the writer was, which is unnusual for me. But Mr. Nicieza does his usual competent job.

Frankly, I found the nude wrestling scene far more hilarious than titillating...which is how it should be. And the part where Catwoman jumps Batgirl in the junkyard, and she grabs her by the TAIL, so that she faceplants in the ground...not to mention just who it is that ends up with the notebook...well, I laughed and laughed.

Green Arrow/Black Canary had its moments. The art is light and pretty, and Winick didn't drive me into a frenzy. Plastic Man is always welcome, and the League of Assassins show up, along with Batman. About time, frankly. Winick's writing was a hell of a lot better in this, than it was over in Titans, which made me want to retch.

I've been enjoying Huntress: Year One. Again, the art is very nice, and it's a well-told story, with some interesting twists and turns.

I'm liking Trinity so far. Each of the big three has their moment in the sun, and each performs according to their personalities and characteristics. Batman in particular has a lovely moment, when he dispatches his foes with a single word. And John Stewart shows up! Always nice to see John. I understand his feelings about Pluto, and agree with him 100%.

Wonder Woman continues to engage me. It took me a while to figure out that that was Claw, I kept thinking Conan, but wrong Universe. She's going to seriously have to moisturize that hand when she finally gets home. And Steel is a paranoid lunatic. Nemesis is sort of an idiot, but I'm finding him to be a likeable idiot at any rate.

Salvation Run finally finished up, which gave me some closure. Too bad about leaving J'onn all alone, but I have to say that it's an improvement over what just happened to him in Final Crises. I love how Lex keeps insisting that he's a HERO dammit, to all the people that he just sacrificed.

I also got the Punisher: the Little Black Book, and it wasn't bad. It wasn't Ennis, but still...pretty good. Some appropriately dark and moody artwork, and a decent story.

Booster Gold and Green Lantern Corps came out, and they were both fantastic, but I'll get to them another day.

Did everyone enjoy their books this week?

6 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing I liked about the Batgirl/Catwoman story is that Maguire depicted the Hedonism Club accurately, in that such places as often as not include people you wouldn't *want* to see naked....

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger nicodemus88 said...

I have not the Batman confidential yet but great Action comics it's true, I liked the dialogues between Clark and Loïs.
For the moment I appreciate Trinity and John Stewart's appearance hooked me for the next ones.

But the three of the weeks for me are Booster Gold (wonderful...), Green Lantern Corps (wonderfull even if I still miss the ancient colors...), these ones you will praise soon in you reviews lol and finally Captain Britain and MI6 n02.

I insist Sally, please try Captain Britain and MI6, it worths it... I ADORE it... more than this... I suggest you all to try this !!!

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

GLC!!!!!!!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

You're right suedenim, Kevin was very good at showing some less than perfect bodies there...just as it WOULD be.

Nico, I haven't picked up Capt. Britain yet, but I've heard some good reviews, so I'll give it a shot.

Sea, I'm getting to it! But oh...how the plot does thicken!

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger googum said...

Ooh, I wanted to pick up Little Black Book and the last ish of Clandestine. Gotta get back to the shop, then.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Nate said...

Gary Frank does the best Clark Kent. I can't get enough of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home