Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Well Shave my Head, and Paint me Blue...

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Well Shave my Head, and Paint me Blue...

...but this was a FUN week for comics! I LIKE fun! Fun is good. Fun is...well, fun.

This is the second issue of Nightwing that I have bought, starting with last month's issue by Peter Tomasi, and I find that I am hooked. I never even really liked Nightwing that much, but the art is lovely, and the plot is interesting, and I really REALLY enjoyed seeing all of Dick's interactions with his friends and colleagues. We got to see John Stewart doing his Architect thing, which for some reason always delights me, Alfred and Bruce, and best of all, WALLY! Two old buddies hanging out and drinking beer. It was fabulous.

One small caveat. The art was quite nice, but Wally has GREEN eyes, not blue. That's my only nitpickery.

Teen Titans: Year One was a hoot and a half. The art is so expressive, and frankly watching poor old Garth make a spectacle out of himself was a delight. The final page where Donna shows up was especially nice, with the expressions on Robin, Kid Flash, Speedy and Aqualad's faces depicted just...so...perfectly. Roy's leer in particular made me laugh out loud.

The All-New Atom was delightful as usual. Like Manhunter and Birds of Prey and Blue Beetle, I
came a little late to this book ,but I am making up for lost time. This was great, and if you can't enjoy the food fight scene with the lariat and the pancakes, then you shouldn't be reading comics.

And Fables! Fables had a...a HAPPY ending! Sorry if I just spoiled it, but I was so sure that Ambrose was going to kck the bucket. I almost still can't believe that Willingham went for a happy ending! And all those really really cool little plot twists and stuff!

There was a lot of other good stuff too, of course, but it was just SO nice to be reading some books withOUT the death of a major or minor character. For those of you are getting a little burned out with all the blood and angst, this was a welcome week.

8 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

I still have to get my reviews up, but yeah, Nightwing, Atom, and Teen Titans Year 1 were all loads of fun. I love that Tomasi is writing Nightwing as not only part of the Bat family, but as part of the DCU. I want to see him write Roy visiting.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Will said...

Did you pick up JSA? With the advent of McKeever on Titans, I feel like it's the better teenage superhero book at DC now, which is funny and odd, because the JSA concept is about geriatric people.

Also, my passcode is "dgilollz" which makes me think of "digi - lolz" which could be a funny thing to say on instant messenger...

 
At 3:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ambrose don't die?????

:) thank for the info ^^ good news ^^

I must check Nightwing. Daddy will is right JSA is very good,
but sally, please...
Try to read Y the last man... amazing book really...

"Just go out there and get your heart broken in, so it'll be ready when you really need it." this made my day in the Y The LM 60...

good day all

N.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Awww, geez, NOW I have to go buy Nightwing!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I still can't believe that I'm saying this, but Nightwing was...GOOD!

There is a lovely moment where Wally comes in and the two of them are getting caught up, on what's been going on. Wally looks at Dick, and says "...a Museum Curator, huh?" Dick is smirking, and says "yeah", to which Wally replies, "...Couldn't get Roy to stop laughing for an hour." Which is just SO perfect.

Plus, Morales draws a very pretty Wally and Dick.

Yes, I DID pick up JSA, and I have to say that I loved the bit in the beginning with Wildcat and Wildcat Jr, Damage, Starman and Citizen Steel all hanging around when Jakeem comes in. The look on Wildcat Jr's face is priceless.

Gee, considering there wasn't any Green Lanterns, this was a darned good week!

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Siskoid said...

It's a tough week for my "5 things to like about..." feature! I'm going to have a hard time choosing one issue to spotlight between Titans and Atom and JLU and the rest I haven't even looked at yet!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

An embarasment of riches, Siskoid.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Siskoid said...

If that's my only problem this week...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home