Hal Pictures Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!: Books I Bought

Green Lantern Butt's FOREVER!

Now with Guy Gardner's Seal of Approval!

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Books I Bought

Well...that was something of a small week.  And I have to say...not the greatest week ever in Comics.

Batman Eternal #1

This was...ok I guess.  I was expecting a lot more.  Batman is hardly in it, it is mostly about Jim Gordon, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, except that he apparently shoots an unarmed fugitive and sets off a massive metro car accident, and ends up in handcuffs.  Batman just chases Professor Pyg.  And it is pretty obvious, that the whole thing is a set-up. 

Oh, and it begins with Batman all tied up and being taunted, so the whole thing is flashback.

Not really my cup of tea.  I think I'll bail on this one.

Green Lantern Corps #30

Well!  Durlans really aren't very nice are they?


Daredevil #1.5

I'm not sure what to make of this #l.5 business.  Is this in continuity?  We get a story about Matt in the future, with a kid, and a wife, and Foggy, alive and well, and fighting the daughter of the Owl, who makes everyone blind. 

It's not a bad story, it's a clever twist, and it is fairly interesting, but it sure took me out of the zone.  It's not what I was expecting.  It reminds me in a way of Geoff John's last issue, where he tied everything up so nicely and neatly, and we got to see everyone live happily ever after.  Except...this is comics, and it never works out that way.

Okay I guess.

Nightcrawler #1

I was really looking forward to this.  And it was lovely to see Nightcrawler back amongst the living, because I love Kurt.  It was by Chris Claremont, and it was a perfect Chris Claremont book.  In fact, it could have been set ten years ago, it was so Claremonty.  And there is nothing wrong with that at all. 

It was nice to see Kurt trying to adapt to the new status quo at the School, dealing with the new young Mutants, and their reactions to him.  He goes to see Amanda, which was nice, I haven't seen hide nor hair of her in quite a while, and of course some Bad Guy is busting up her apartment.

But it was a bit...I don't know...old-fashioned.  Not that that is a bad thing.  But it did surprise me a little.

And that was that.

2 Comments:

At 4:58 AM, Anonymous Randy Jackson said...

Nightcrawler was very, very Claremont. I think I finally realized that the only time Wolverine refers to Kurt as "Elf" is when Claremont is writing.

Not to mention repeating panels from old X-Men comics. Which makes me wonder, how did Amanda get those Bamf dolls back in the day?

Did you miss Astro City or are you just not reading it?

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I just haven't been reading it, Randy. I probably should. There are a LOT of books I should be reading!

But yes, Nightcrawler was vintage Claremont.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home